how many drake to how many ducks

ladybug4ut1

Songster
12 Years
Nov 13, 2007
Central Florida
i have 2 ducks and two drakes and now one drake will not leave the other drake alone...he keeps biting at his neck and now i have only one in the pen with the ducks and the other ne is outside the pen running around while we are home. should i get rid of the other drake and just keep one per 2 ducks...please let me know what the ratio should be.

thanks

barnie.gif
idunno.gif

yes you only need 1 drake to 2 hens.the only way you can keep both is build another pen.an put a pair in each pen.

I have 7 drakes and 4 ducks. It's pretty funny. Half the time the drakes are trying to mate eachother which is confusing for everyone involved.

The hens aren't showing any signs of being overbred, or I would pull a few out obviously. Everyone is getting along well.

I have 2 drakes and 1 duck but the drakes are brothers and dont have any problems. 1 drake and the duck has partnered up and the other just minds his own. But they all do mate together when the loner gets the chance.

Here's the info I found in my BarnYard in your BackYard book, hope it helps..

Optimum Mating Ratios

Duck Breed Ducks per Drake (1 male)

Call 1-2
Campbell 4-6
Mallard 1-2
Muscovy 5-7
Pekin 2-5
Rouen 1-2
Runner 4-6

Greyfields just raises very gentlemanly drakes is all.
smile.png

Most of our drakes are siblings, but when given the chance they will gang rape the ducks and start pecking at her eyes. They will also fight among themselves sometimes.

I'd recommend doing like we did -- keep them together until you encounter problems and then separate them. If you don't ever encounter problems then you are lucky.

Back
Top Bottom