How many eggs can a hen lay per day?

We have a silkie who lays us about 5 eggs a week. Know they are hers cos our other girls are all different breeds and have different egg colours and sizes.
I didn't think they were meant to lay that many eggs.

We have a silkie who lays us about 5 eggs a week. Know they are hers cos our other girls are all different breeds and have different egg colours and sizes.
I didn't think they were meant to lay that many eggs.
You have an above average silkie, that is for sure. Laying more than one for them in one day is less likely than being struck by lightning twice while winning the lotto as a gorrilla directs traffic across the street, though.

I have 6 hens and one rooster. They would normally lay 4 to 6 per day. However today they laid 7 eggs. However, the shell on one egg was a bit weak. It didn't have a good color on the shell and was weak.

My eggs always stay about the same size that the hen starts out with. I've had very little change in any hens' sizes. Give them a few weeks and whatever size you have at that time I'd say will by your hens' sizes for their eggs.

I've been raising chickens for almost 1 1/2 yrs now. One of my original chickens is a Bantam Mix that lays medium-large eggs. We were gone for 4 days once (before we had our fence) and we found her in the wooded area behind the house sitting on 10 eggs. I always wondered if some were from the other hens. Today I checked and their were no eggs. My daughter went outside because she heard Lucille (the Bantam mix) squaking like crazy and she had just came out of the barn. In an area where they usually don't lay, but Lucille has before. She found 7 still warm eggs. I'm pretty sure they are all Lucille's. All were warm, same size, normal shell and same color (light tan). Some of our others lay green or brown. So I'm researching now, but it looks as they are all hers! Lucille is close to 2 yrs old.

7 eggs in quite impossible for any chicken. Unless you confine her and still end up with that kind of output is more than a little unbelievable. Two would be stretching it but possible even if it is improbable.

I checked for eggs before I left the house for a baseball game-no eggs. When I got home several hours later, 3. I have 2 hens, so one must have laid the additional egg. How long does it take a hen to lay an egg? I've had one in the box and 2 hours later she's still in the box. Other times, you see both out pecking and 10 minutes later one is singing her song. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom