How many eggs can a quail lay a day?

quail1999

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 24, 2012
Hi!

I have 4 lovely coturnix quail hens who live with their 2 roos. Although, it seems like they are laying 5-6 eggs a day. Is this possible for a quail to lay more than one egg a day?

big_smile.png
Thanks

when i first got quail i just feed them on chicken layers ration. i didnt realise this was far to much for them and it resulted in them laying up-words of 2 eggs a day, but this made them very drained and weak so i would not recommend!

when i first got quail i just feed them on chicken layers ration. i didnt realise this was far to much for them and it resulted in them laying up-words of 2 eggs a day, but this made them very drained and weak so i would not recommend!

Chicken ration actually has less stuff in it then game bird ration. Game bird feed has higher protein along with a couple other things chicken feed doesn't have. The reason they seemed to be drained more than likely was due to them not being fed the proper feed, and as a result not receiving all the necessary nutrients that they needed .

Oooo, thats nice! I will give it a shot too and try to fix a more consistent lighting schedule for them and see if it helps my ladies as well. Thank you!

It's not usual but certainly not unheard of for a coturnix to lay two eggs per day if she's young, healthy, comfortable, and well-fed. It sounds like you're doing something right!
Just make sure you keep providing your girls with a constant source of calcium and high-quality feed so that their bodies aren't depleted too quickly.

Back
Top Bottom