How many eggs can my broody sit on to hatch?

generalmills628

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 29, 2014
I have a broody black ameraucana hen and I figured I'd get her some fertile eggs to hatch out. I'm just wondering how many standard size eggs I can fit under her! The most she's ever sat on is 5 in the short period I've had them (5 is also the most that's been in the coop at one point) I'm not sure how many eggs to order. How many have y'all fit under one or seen them sit on at one point?

Is she a large hen or a bantam? A bantam should be able to effectively cover a half dozen large fowl eggs. A large hen should be able to cover ten or twelve. Provide enough nesting material (I like hay) so that she can form a cup shaped nest. Candle at 7 to 10 days and discard any infertile or dud eggs. Good luck with the incubation.

Is she a large hen or a bantam?  A bantam should be able to effectively cover a half dozen large fowl eggs.  A large hen should be able to cover ten or twelve.  Provide enough nesting material (I like hay) so that she can form a cup shaped nest.  Candle at 7 to 10 days and discard any infertile or dud eggs.  Good luck with the incubation.

X2 i put five large leghorn eggs under my small frizzle pekin hen she holds them very well even though they are huge and shes tiny I could probably fit just eight under her at most, she has also made a large cup shaped nest with the hay I provided which helps.

not sure about 'standard', but she should be able to sit on a dozen eggs laid by her or similar size. or at least that's the general rule for most chickens(but not all)

my silkies can sit on a dozen silkie eggs, but those are not much bigger than a half dollar, and they don't usually wait to have a full clutch before they go broody.
then I have a serama that she can fit 8 of her eggs under her.

Is she a large hen or a bantam?  A bantam should be able to effectively cover a half dozen large fowl eggs.  A large hen should be able to cover ten or twelve.  Provide enough nesting material (I like hay) so that she can form a cup shaped nest.  Candle at 7 to 10 days and discard any infertile or dud eggs.  Good luck with the incubation.

I have a couple broody ameraucana hens, but the one I see most in the coop is the smallest out of the flock and she lays a medium sized egg. I'm planning on maybe putting some fertile buff Orpington eggs under her. But instead of using her, I might use the larger orangish colored ameraucana hen.

Back
Top Bottom