How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

16/23, first snow today for our girls in Colorado. Looks to be a whopping 10 on Wed with a low of 5. No heat lamp in the coop, saving that for the dead of winter. All of ours are cold hardy as well but didn't seemed overly thrilled by the snow.

So Scott, if it's real cold will you turn on a heat light at night? It's cold here tonight and my chickens haven't been in a real cold time yet either. They are cold hardy birds but I still worry about it. I have a heat lamp in their coop and will turn it on if it gets to cold. What about you? I'm just trying to get other peoples opinions.Thanks
Hi, sssharon.

I ran electricity out to the coop earlier in the fall in anticipation of the cold weather and I'm glad I did. Better to do it in 50 degrees than 10 degrees. LOL. I have it on a timer and have it set to come on for a couple of hours but not sure if I'll continue to do that or wait until it gets really cold. Here in Minnesota, we have days and days where temps don't get above zero so I know for sure I'll have it on then.

I have four Black Australorps who are cold hardy and everything I've read said we don't need a heat lamp - just keep them dry and they'll be fine - but like you, if I'm cold, I feel they will be as well...although that's not really how it works. :)

So, sssharon, as you can see, I'm not much help to you because I'm not sure what I'll do but I'll probably leave it on for a couple of hours every day all winter. Sorry for not being much help.

So Scott, if it's real cold will you turn on a heat light at night? It's cold here tonight and my chickens haven't been in a real cold time yet either. They are cold hardy birds but I still worry about it. I have a heat lamp in their coop and will turn it on if it gets to cold. What about you? I'm just trying to get other peoples opinions.Thanks

It was -18C, I turned on the heat lamp.. should temperatures warm up again I'll turn it off, water freezes regardless what I'll do.

I have to reiterate that the heated water bowls do work, we have two. We also will have a heat lamp in the coop for those days/nights when it is bitterly cold, we have it set up on a timer. Not sure how often we will have it turn on and off.

Woke up to snow and cold here in Colorado, we have gotten 6 eggs so far today....we will see how this cold affects their laying.

Back
Top Bottom