How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

This last one was killed in the big enclosed yard that they range in. This particular yard goes into the woods and is not covered over the top. It's too big of an area to be feasible for us to cover. I am thinking that this hen had not gone in the coop when the others did and that a raccoon or something went over or through the fence ( cattle panels covered on the lower half with chicken wire. The chicken wire is more to keep the chickens IN, than to keep things out.) around dusk. I went out around 8:30 to lock up the coops before I took my daughter somewhere. I had told her I needed to lock up because it was already very dark & I knew we would be gone for a while. Since nothing had finished cleaning out her insides, I think that I must have inadvertently chased off whatever it was when I went out to lock the coop, but did not see her because it was very dark by then and she was down near the back side of the fence. That side of the fence is a little ways into the woods and down a slight hill. The next day when I got home from school I went out to check on everybody and noticed that she was missing. The leaves under her body were dry and it had been raining since sometime during the night.

That's the best I can figure out so far.
sounds more like a coon or a cat that could get in through the top

Ok. 6 eggs today. That makes 12 new on top of the 6 dozen for a friend. I put all in the incubator and will start collecting for another week. I'll know if these are fertile in a few days.

Ok. 6 eggs today. That makes 12 new on top of the 6 dozen for a friend. I put all in the incubator and will start collecting for another week. I'll know if these are fertile in a few days.
keeping bird busy it sounds like might be fun
but I still don't want to raise any might have all roosters
and sure don't want overrun my coop if I
couldn't sell them.
4/5 here again

Last edited:
I lost track earlier in the week, another hen went broody.

Yesterday - 10 eggs
- 1 guinea egg

Today - 14 eggs
- 1 guinea egg

karenerwin - So sorry to hear about your losses. I hope you can get it, whatever "it" is.
Darn predators.
somad.gif

Back
Top Bottom