How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

I went out to collect eggs & this is what I found-
My first ever Broody hatched chick! Mama is still chortling on the nest, so I hope that means more will hatch!

The funny thing is that I had gone to the feed store today to buy some day old chicks to put under her & the other broody hen, but the feed store only had month old or older chicks. So, I didn't get any. Their new shipment comes in on Thursday. I will probably have to go get some for the other broody hen, none of her eggs looked like they were doing much when I candled them last night. I think she ate all the old eggs that had stopped developing and was sitting on some brand new eggs! There was just the beginnings of veining & all the eggs, that had gotten so dirty looking from the early egg that broke, were gone.

I think I got 10 eggs today.

Last edited:
My first ever Broody hatched chick! Mama is still chortling on the nest, so I hope that means more will hatch!

The funny thing is that I had gone to the feed store today to buy some day old chicks to put under her & the other broody hen, but the feed store only had month old or older chicks. So, I didn't get any. Their new shipment comes in on Thursday. I will probably have to go get some for the other broody hen, none of her eggs looked like they were doing much when I candled them last night. I think she ate all the old eggs that had stopped developing and was sitting on some brand new eggs! There was just the beginnings of veining & all the eggs, that had gotten so dirty looking from the early egg that broke, were gone.

Alright congratulations on your hatch
jumpy.gif

I went out to collect eggs & this is what I found- My first ever Broody hatched chick! Mama is still chortling on the nest, so I hope that means more will hatch! The funny thing is that I had gone to the feed store today to buy some day old chicks to put under her & the other broody hen, but the feed store only had month old or older chicks. So, I didn't get any. Their new shipment comes in on Thursday. I will probably have to go get some for the other broody hen, none of her eggs looked like they were doing much when I candled them last night. I think she ate all the old eggs that had stopped developing and was sitting on some brand new eggs! There was just the beginnings of veining & all the eggs, that had gotten so dirty looking from the early egg that broke, were gone. I think I got 10 eggs today.
Congratulations!!!

Congrats on first hatch.

We got our first hatch of 5 almost 7 weeks ago from Colleen, our year old GLW.
She has nurtured all 5 she hatched to this point and dropped her first egg yesterday since going broody, the same day that we heard the first crow coming from the babies. They are in an enclosure within a pen, housing 2 adult hens, 9-5 montg old new layers and a 5 month cockerel so this weekend we are going to see if we can begin the integration process.
Prior to going broody, Colleen was the head mistress of the other 2 hens and the juvenile group were where the babies are now.

Last edited:

Wowzer Congratulations

Back
Top Bottom