How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

One of our brand new chicks born this afternoon

2/3 today - saw Cinders lay hers as I lifted the coop lid to see if she was in there. I reached down and took it before it had even dried off, but afterwards I wondered what she must have thought when she turned round! "I'm sure I just laid an egg - where's it gone?"
hu.gif

Rusty's still broody, and changing nests to warm any egg that takes her fancy - hence my checking regularly to empy the other nest as soon as the girls lay. (Good job she's not sitting on a fertile egg - it wouldn't stand a chance!)

I'm down to four productive hens to their credit I get four eggs a day as often as just three. Four today, four yesterday; I'm interested to see how long they can keep that up.

Or at the very least, put them in a jacket pocket.

Yeah, that way when you do a few things on the way back to the house and throw your coat at the hook, miss and it hits the floor, the egg is contained rather than making a mess on the floor.
big_smile.png

No, I don't know this from personal experience. Hope I never do either!

Zoe, my leghorn has taken to using the egg song as a means to protest standing in line for a nest box... After that, I think the others just get caught up in the excitement.
cool.png

You sure she isn't singing so the girl on the nest will get confused?
"Wait, I hear the egg song! I must have laid my egg - back to the flock!"

One of our brand new chicks born this afternoon

Waaaaaiiiiit, chickens can lay live chicks?!?
wink.png

Very cute, you must be so excited.

10 out of 11...can't wait for the day I get 11 out of 11!! It has got to happen just once!!

I keep thinking the same thing! Got 11 from 12 twice in the last 4 days. Come on girls, make it 100% so I can brag about it
smile.png

Thursday: 11
Friday: 4
Saturday: 9
Sunday: 11

Hmm, wonder if tomorrow will be 4 again. I'm GUESSING 7 given several of the girls that took the day off Friday tend to lay 5 or more days between breaks. We'll see :)

Bruce

Well, the girls did good today, 3 for 3...
wee.gif

I had an omelette today, using 2 1/3 eggs.
idunno.gif

the small one was all white, no yolk.
jumpy.gif

it happens once in a while.
hide.gif

have also seen tiny eggs with a tiny yolk.
D.gif

2/3, lucky that neither of them was broken, as my broody - Rusty - has started playing 'musical eggs'. When I got home at lunchtime she was sitting on Blackie's egg in the other nest, and her broody nest was empty - the egg she is meant to be sitting on, plus Cinders' egg, were dumped on the floor in front of the broody nest! It's a good job that I use lots of shredded paper in the coop - it probably stopped them breaking. Still trying to work out how (and why) she scooped the eggs out of her nest - unless it was by accident when she was turning them?
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom