How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Look at that cute baby!

Again only 1 egg yesterday ... on the bright side I put in a temporary fix for the light issue (see I did that too VW Doug!)
lau.gif
I ran an extension chord through the front door to the chicken coop which now means my front door doesn't seal
he.gif
. Today is a windy day so I hope the door doesn't get blown open while I am at work.

Mine are slacking, only one or two eggs from five that were cranking why?

could be a bunch of different things... they will slack up laying when they molt, or when the days get shorter, to dietary protein getting too low, to unusually hot or cold weather, etc....

the weather is typical the molting ended a month ago, plenty of food, plenty of scratch, I even supplement with cat food for the protein....the production dropped off three months ago, its a mixed flock that I picked so we would get eggs all year, I have no idea what I am doing wrong....

Check to be sure the lights are bright enough and not too blue-white (I've heard they need a more natural color).
Be sure the total daylight is AT LEAST 14 hours.
Is the "old" marine battery strong enough to keep the lights on bright for the 4+ hours needed at this time of year? (My old car battery wasn't, and the timer/switch was shutting off when the voltage dropped below 11.5V or so). I now have a 7AH SLA battery being charged by a 15W panel through a charge controller.
I'm using (2) 2W LEDs, but may increase the brightness a little change to a single 5W.

Back
Top Bottom