How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Someone else explained the format-

2 eggs/4 hens a-laying/of 8 hens-pullets total

I have 8 total... 2 pullets of the group have not yet laid. Two others who were good producers stopped laying mid-autumn. Looking forward to posting 8/8/8 sometime soon!

It means "2 eggs from the 4 chickens laying out of the 8 chickens I have". Or something like that. In other words, poster has 8 chickens but only 4 are at the point where they are laying and 2 eggs came from those 4.

I have read that they lay every 25 hours or so... The off days must be when the lay time falls after dark? Over the summer and fall, each hen laid around the same time, but it was an all day event. Since each of my hens has a particular look to her eggs (subtle color, size and shape variances) it was easy to tell who laid once she was identified. Once the weather is again tolerable... I'll be outside for several days to check their rhythms. Hehe... I should actually put note to paper!

Today, I got my 2 eggs (70.7/65.3) before 8am. One was cold-ish, one was still warm. Hoping for a three egg day, my new layers have already delivered and the older 2 layers are each giving one every other day.

2/4/8 plus a new cockerel that the girls seem to be happy with.

Just had two over really easy for breakfast. YUM!

Right. It seems to some people like they always lay in the morning. That's because, as you stated, the off day usually occurs when the next egg would have been after dusk.
If they're ovulating every 25 hours and dusk is at 6 PM, the next 12 eggs will come just after dawn and then a bit later each day till they skip again. If they're on a 27 hour cycle, adjust expectations accordingly.
Any stressors or other problems and it will throw off onset of ovulation.

Ok, I currently have 10 birds.

3 are 5+ years old, I'll average 1 egg every 3 - 4 weeks from them in total...

2 are 4+ years old, I'll average 1 egg a week from them in total...

2 are 3 years old,
1 is 2 years old
2 are 1 year olds,

I usually get 5 or 6 eggs per day.
I was getting 6 or 7 eggs per day.

I'll get 2 more pullets in the spring. Their housing can support 25 - 30 birds...
I do not cull, these birds are pets, primarily for entertainment and creating compost from household waste.

My egg production does not vary much,
I have supplemental lighting that simulates my summer solstice.

You are more than welcome. Took me quite a while to figure it out myself! I got the ?/? part easily, but when the other number showed up in some posts I was scratching my head.

So far none today, but big news!! Agatha is on a nest this morning! It'll be the first time she's laid an egg since September when she went broody! Now, l let's just hope this is an "I'm-going-to-lay-an-egg-and-go-right-back-outside" time in the nest, and she's not going broody again. I've heard that some chickens go back to back broody, and I ain't going through THAT again - not this time of year.

I have 33 hens, 6 of them hatched in April and the rest are 2 years old. I think only 1 of the hens hatched in April started laying before molting began around September (I hatched out BCM's and I get an occasional very dark egg so that is what I am going by) so I probably have a potential of 27 hens laying.
I am only getting 2-4 eggs daily. They have all feathered out since molting (except for 2 that get picked on quite a bit) I am not free ranging at this time because I want to get all the eggs that are laid. I do not do lights or heat in the coop. I still feel I should be getting more eggs than this but I guess I will wait it out and see what happens over the next few months. We did have quite a bit of rain and overcast days in the month of Dec. so I am thinking that, along with the very short days has something to do with it. I should say that before molting and winter I was getting at least 24 eggs daily ( although I did give away a couple of those hens) then it started dropping slowly until I was down to the 2-4.

I really miss my eggs and hate that I have to buy them right now.
barnie.gif

CJ

Back
Top Bottom