How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Whew! What a week! we got 8/11 today...been averaging that since Christmas. It's been cold here all week with some sunshine but it's raining hard now. All 6 of the leghorns are laying, the Red Comets have been a little off since Christmas. All the humans in the house have been dealing with the flu and just to add a litttle stress....one of the Red Comets was attacked by what we're assuming was a hawk. Bless her heart, found her Saturday night cowering in the corner of the coop all bloody. The next morning it took two of us to extract her from the coop and get her tended to and temporarily isolated in the garden shed. She's missing skin and feathers from the base of her comb down to the bend in her neck. But she is a spunky girl, she kept laying eggs for two days afterward! We've been treating her with antibiotics and Vytercin (sp?) and she's eating really well so we're hopeful she'll be o.k. We spent the day building a tent coop to isolate her in, the garden shed was a little to full for a long term solution. I'll try to post pictures of what we're calling the M.A.S.H. tent, after my temperature goes back down and it quits raining! Lesson learned: we're designing a new Chicken coop/run , make sure we save the old coop for isolation purposes! You never know when you'll need it!
old.gif
btw we've now officially named the injured Red, Lala, after the bird in Dr.Suess' Gertrude McFuzz. So the only two named birds in the flock are Gertrude (my still broody, egg hoarding Red) and Lala! So much for not turning them into pets and getting emotionally attached!
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom