How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

How many eggs to expect??
I have 19 females 9wks and 12 wks
GC, BO, BA, GLW, EE
1 is a surprise roo (BCM)
Any ideas or is it just a waiting game each day and as to when they'll start. My GCs faces are redder than any others, does that mean anything?
Not impatient just curious

I don't always keep up with my eggs daily. Usually every 4 to 5 days.

I cleaned up 62 eggs plus there was at least 3 more ( broken in the nest) . These were from July 12th through July 16.

All from 22 hens and three of those are trying to set so they're not even laying. So I guess I got that many from 19 hens.

I don't always keep up with my eggs daily. Usually every 4 to 5 days.

I cleaned up 62 eggs plus there was at least 3 more ( broken in the nest) . These were from July 12th through July 16.

All from 22 hens and three of those are trying to set so they're not even laying. So I guess I got that many from 19 hens.
thank you. I appreciate your response. Do you sell eggs too and how do you plan for the AMT and how many to sell?? Am I overthinking this or is it normal? Sounds like they lay and you collect, not making a big deal...

I only got 4 eggs today -- but since it was out of 4 hens, I can't complain. I'm impatiently waiting on my new gals to start laying... Then I'll have 19 laying :D

GC, BO, BA, GLW, EE
Any ideas or is it just a waiting game each day and as to when they'll start. My GCs faces are redder than any others, does that mean anything?

So with 19 girls you'll probably see between 5 and 15+ a day (maybe a few 19 days here or there). I know that's a pretty big range but I have 12 (6 over a year, 4 are 22 weeks and 2 are 17 weeks. 10 confirmed eggs 1 I'm certain is laying but haven't confirmed her egg yet. Of the first 6 I would get usually between 2 and 5, but since the younger 6 started I get between 3 and 6 right now but that's with the heat too. I would guess with good circumstances and no broody you'll probably average over 12 a day though.

Red combs usually means they are or are close to laying, but don't let that fool you. I had one red for almost 4 months before she gave me an egg (she was 9 months old for her first lay). Yet I have another that my friend and I actually watched lay her first and here almost 2 weeks later she still has a small pale comb. So yes you may have some start soon but there is not real time line for it.

Selling eggs... I don't, at least not yet. I do however supply my parents about a dozen every 2 weeks, and one neighbor when I'm in surplus because my chickens are on the side of the yard closest to his house and I have had a few escape to his yard. So that's more of a good neighbor gift. Obviously you need to wait till most of your girls are laying to see how much you get vs how much you need. With my 6 I did have a few weeks early on in was getting between 2 1/2 and 3 dozen a week. Sometimes we go through that much some times we don't. For a family of 5 we use to buy the 5 dozen at Costco every 2 weeks.

Once the younger 6 actually get regular and the Temps cool down I'm sure I'll get 6-12 eggs a day and then will certainly have to consider selling some, but hey friends and neighbors right...

Last edited:
So with 19 girls you'll probably see between 5 and 15+ a day (maybe a few 19 days here or there). I know that's a pretty big range but I have 12 (6 over a year, 4 are 22 weeks and 2 are 17 weeks. 10 confirmed eggs 1 I'm certain is laying but haven't confirmed her egg yet. Of the first 6 I would get usually between 2 and 5, but since the younger 6 started I get between 3 and 6 right now but that's with the heat too. I would guess with good circumstances and no broody you'll probably average over 12 a day though.

Red combs usually means they are or are close to laying, but don't let that fool you. I had one red for almost 4 months before she gave me an egg (she was 9 months old for her first lay). Yet I have another that my friend and I actually watched lay her first and here almost 2 weeks later she still has a small pale comb. So yes you may have some start soon but there is not real time line for it.

Selling eggs... I don't, at least not yet. I do however supply my parents about a dozen every 2 weeks, and one neighbor when I'm in surplus because my chickens are on the side of the yard closest to his house and I have had a few escape to his yard. So that's more of a good neighbor gift. Obviously you need to wait till most of your girls are laying to see how much you get vs how much you need. With my 6 I did have a few weeks early on in was getting between 2 1/2 and 3 dozen a week. Sometimes we go through that much some times we don't. For a family of 5 we use to buy the 5 dozen at Costco every 2 weeks.

Once the younger 6 actually get regular and the Temps cool down I'm sure I'll get 6-12 eggs a day and then will certainly have to consider selling some, but hey friends and neighbors right...

wow that's such a big span! I was planning on not all of them laying each day but didnt think that difference. We can go thru a dozen in a day if everyone wants eggs or my recipes calls for many eggs (I have several recipes calling for over 5 eggs! & we have 3-6 kids who want eggs every day).
I am hoping to have great layers who I can depend on-have a long line of customers who are asking already:/
Thank you so much for wonderful help.

GC, BO, BA, GLW, EE
It's mostly a waiting game, however, a rule of guidance says hens usually start laying around 20 weeks or 6 months of age. Some start quite a while earlier and some start a lot later. Another indicator is the redness of the comb & wattles. The redder the better. Another sign is when the pullet starts squatting, like if you were going to pet it on the back and it lowers itself into a squatting position (like it's getting ready for a rooster to mount it). Those are all signs that a pullet is close to age laying, but as with people, hens are all different. Yours will start laying when it is the right time for them.

Back
Top Bottom