How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

@karenerwin
I believe both breeds are brown to lt brown or tan.
5/5 today. Temps average for the season, yea. GC
Thanks, that's what I was thinking also, but I wasn't sure since I got 3 white eggs yesterday & I only have 2 white egg layers! I think I must have overlooked one egg the day before.

8 eggs for today. Still no eggs from the EE coop, but man, there are a lot of feathers in there!

Hey guys. So I think (pretty sure after research) that my girls have tape worm. I need to check the feed store for valbazen I have all the info I need. They are on strike 3 right now becuase that's all I have.

But my question is since worms don't die in the soil and of course it's fall meaning the soil is wet and bugs come to the top more often after the first 2 doses should I just go ahead a retreat then in the spring (6 months) or wait it I notice an issue again.

Between my 11 girls I have everything from watery poop, to yellowish foam poop to normal poop with white seed like wiggly things to totally normal poop. I've only confirmed the pests in 1 dropping though I had seen it in at least 2 or 3, but that's why we started treating becuase even before the actual discovery it was already clear there was an infestation.

Also is there anyway to treat the soil?
I am not sure about the soil, I know there's got to be something to treat it though. Wonder if TSC or other and better farm store would know? Sorry they are sick. I definitely would treat entire flock to be on safe side.

@karenerwin, I have gotten 6 eggs in 1 day from 5 pullets, 5 in the morning and 1 in the evening and I found all in the 2 nest boxes. It's hard to miss any in my wide open back entry. So it's possible for SUPER CHICKEN to Knock Out 2 in 1 day occasionally.
5/5 today, so far. Old photo showing wide open back entry.GC

Last edited:
I am not sure about the soil, I know there's got to be something to treat it though. Wonder if TSC or other and better farm store would know? Sorry they are sick. I definitely would treat entire flock to be on safe side.

I am treating everyone. I was actually kind of excited today, in a eww that's gross sort of way. I went out to do poop inspections, since I gave them thier first dose of valbazen yesterday. It's so gross, everything I saw was stiff and not moving but all my inspections before were clear until I saw the tapeworm segments. Today I must have seen at least 3 or 4 different types of things. One chicken, I don't know who it is, I feel bad for her (them all really) as I was combing through this one and it seemed, though visually the poop looked normal, that it was nearly 90% I'm talking just full of these tiny like 1cm long wire looking pieces. Just a ton of dead tiny I don't remember which type worms. I also found a dead round worm and possibly a dead gape worm (though that might have been intestinal lining). It's so gross.

I just feel bad cause it's raining and wet out there, and I know these buggers are all over in the soil right now and I can't really do anything to prevent them.

It's supposed to clear up later today and tomorrow, so I told hubby he needs to help me move some of the rock pile to the run to at least help with the mud puddles over there right now and hopefully create a little bit of a barrier between my flock and the infested ground till we get a routine and get this cleared out for good.

I'm going to have to retreat all the birds in the spring...

Last edited:
I am treating everyone. I was actually kind of excited today, in a eww that's gross sort of way. I went out to do poop inspections, since I gave them thier first dose of valbazen yesterday. It's so gross, everything I saw was stiff and not moving but all my inspections before were clear until I saw the tapeworm segments. Today I must have seen at least 3 or 4 different types of things. One chicken, I don't know who it is, I feel bad for her (them all really) as I was combing through this one and it seemed, though visually the poop looked normal, that it was nearly 90% I'm talking just full of these tiny like 1cm long wire looking pieces. Just a ton of dead tiny I don't remember which type worms. I also found a dead round worm and possibly a dead gape worm (though that might have been intestinal lining). It's so gross.

I just feel bad cause it's raining and wet out there, and I know these buggers are all over in the soil right now and I can't really do anything to prevent them.

It's supposed to clear up later today and tomorrow, so I told hubby he needs to help me move some of the rock pile to the run to at least help with the mud puddles over there right now and hopefully create a little bit of a barrier between my flock and the infested ground till we get a routine and get this cleared out for good.

I'm going to have to retreat all the birds in the spring...

I'm not sure of how accurate this is but I've read that pumpkin is a natural dewormer for when you get things under control. Just toss some pumpkin out once a month or so. Might want to look into that
1f601.png

I'm not sure of how accurate this is but I've read that pumpkin is a natural dewormer for when you get things under control. Just toss some pumpkin out once a month or so. Might want to look into that
1f601.png

I've read that too but even natural treatmentselection may have their limits. The kids need to carve thier pumpkins soon, I'm sure the girls will love the treat.

Now I feel really bad. One of the pullets had never got her red comb even months after laying. I thought, and had asked) that maybe some mixed breeds never turned a true red. She's an EE. I was checking on then again, and I don't know if it's the temperature or not for sure but she now had a much brighter redder color in her comb then she has ever had before.

Oh and I found a tape worm expelled in a dropping, so that's really good news treatment is working....

Back
Top Bottom