Momma goose still sitting on nest
smile.png

Temp low 80's and super windy from 11am on till late evening
somad.gif

Wish everyone a great Easter
wee.gif
put them egg hunting skills to work
cool.png

I don't normally do this for fear of attracting the attention of the e**l e*e but the flock has outdone itself, on a day when they were given complete free-ranging freedom from 7 am on; in short, counter to what I expected , that is either that there would be slighter fewer and slightly more scattered, but the opposite proved true.

6 BOs, 6 sexlinks and 6 EEs produced 16/18. I'm particularly happy with the EEs as they've been regularly 4/5 out of 6 birds. All are into their fifth and sixth month of laying.

Goodbye lowly oatmeal, hello fair omelet!

Thursday

Chicken eggs 7

Turkey egg 1

Momma goose still sitting on nest
smile.png

Temp low 80's and super windy from 11am on till late evening
somad.gif

Wish everyone a great Easter
wee.gif
put them egg hunting skills to work
cool.png
Happy Easter Gander! Are you going to be able to spend Easter with your family? I remember last year you put a goose or duck? egg up as the Easter egg hunt prize for the kiddos. well, whatever you do, I hope you have fun doing it
thumbsup.gif

2/3, can't wait till my babies lay!!!
Waiting for that first egg is tough!! I remember that it seemed to take forever!! Now it seems like they have been laying forever. I hope your wait goes by quickly. Ok, I just noticed that you won't be waiting for a "first" egg, just a first egg from these chicks. Any way, I still hope it goes by quickly for you.

15 eggs today. Spent the day thoroughly cleaning out the big coop (10' by 12'). Sprayed the roosting bars down with WD 40 because I suspect scaley mites on my rooster. Wiped his legs down with vaseline last night. He wasn't too impressed, he didn't want me touching him. Will go out in a while and do it again. I got a couple of hens legs too just for good measure.

I also went ahead and snuck the last 3 chicks under Momma broody number 1. She adopted the chick I added last night with no problem
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
Hopefully we can get a repeat performance.

We also pulled out a double exhaust fan that was mounted in the coop. Both fan's motors have been dead for over a year. I replaced it with mesh wire, so now there is quite a bit of ventilation for that coop. I was thinking that it could use more. I still need to build an awning or something so that I can keep the rain out when it rains.

Just boiled up 18 eggs. Daughter asked me to make deviled eggs for Easter
yesss.gif
Also dropped a dozen eggs off at a friend's house, she's making an "Italian Egg Wreath"

I had never heard of it before. She made one last week using my "colorful eggs" ( blue, green, tan, dark brown) and loved how it turned out. The picture is from the internet, not the one she made. Anyway, she loved that the eggs were colorful and she didn't have to dye them!

So far my 3 little Bronze turkeys are doing well. I hope everyone has a great Easter!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom