How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Boy it’s been a while for me! I miss having the time to go through the forum. Too busy at work. Well my original flock is approaching one year in November so technically they’re still pullets. I have one molting pretty bad. A BB Bantam. She’s shivering and looks like a mangy bird. Lol. I didn’t think they molted so early but I guess 11 months old is when she wanted to. My production is down to 4-6 a day out of 16 girls. However, I added 6 back in June that we’re “started” pullets. I think one started laying but the other 5 don’t look developed enough to yet. I’m betting I’ll have a great spring next year with 22.

How’s everyone doing with the fall/winter seeping in? How many of you are doing supplemental light? I don’t think I will be.

April I have always had a light in the coop year round on 7 or 8 am off at 9 at night
I go out at night girls in the coop getting late snack I shot out the light close pop door man door as I leave... Bf does morning to let them out

How’s everyone doing with the fall/winter seeping in? How many of you are doing supplemental light? I don’t think I will be.
This is the time of year most birds will moult if they have been through a winter already.

I don't do supplemental. We don't cull birds and I figure they will lay more years if I don't wear them out. I still have 4 of my original dozen from 2012, 3 of them still lay though only the EE is reliable all spring summer and fall. She has already moulted this year and has started laying again but I expect she will shut down soon. She's never been a winter layer other than her pullet winter.

Where in France did you go Bruce?
For work - Essonne the first time, Montpelier the second. Paris and Toulouse with DD's Theatre on Ice ('Ballet sur Glace" in France) troupe later. Been through Carcassonne twice. Just heard on the radio that they got a year's worth of rain in 5 hours very recently in that area. Scary!

I have 11 again main coop older girls do not care about the light they stopped for the winter last year suspect they have again that is why just the new ones pullets laying now but like 6 that will not lay till spring

For work - Essonne the first time, Montpelier the second. Paris and Toulouse with DD's Theatre on Ice ('Ballet sur Glace" in France) troupe later. Been through Carcassonne twice. Just heard on the radio that they got a year's worth of rain in 5 hours very recently in that area. Scary!
We lived for nearly 10 years in the Aude - we were only about 30 minutes from Carcassonne (my 2nd was born there as they shut the maternity in Castelnaudary between 1st and 2nd). I live in a little bubble and haven't been looking at news, maybe I need to! We had a lot of rain the other day but no where near that :eek:

Bless her I just found a blue egg in the silkie coop with a silkie egg. Edwina (my Araucana) is sooooo timid that is probably less scary for her!!
This is the time of year most birds will moult if they have been through a winter already.
Ahhh so my 3 big girls will probably molt then as they were born November last year.

Hi April, nice to see you! I'm not going to do light - they can have a rest! Also I think there are a few breeds in my flock (can't remember which ones :lau) who are meant to lay well in winter too!
4/6 so far today! Except not sure if the silkie and the Araucana were from today or yesterday as I didnt' check the little coop - not back used to the little girls laying!

Even my "winter laying" breeds don't lay in the winter.

Still waiting for this April's girls to get productive in a regular way. Neither Aria (Barnevelder) nor Lana (Golden Campine) have laid yet. Betty (Welsummer) and Vienna (Barred Rock) have laid a few but I see Vienna in the nest for a long time with no egg resutling. Arcadia (Barred Rock) has laid more but still not up to what one should expect from her breed. She has gotten into the USDA Medium size though.

Got 9 out of 12 eggs today! 23 week old RIR pullets :D So at least 9 are laying so far!!! Woohoo!!!

*Yes I'm supplementing light.

Welcome to our egg thread glad to have more come in only have 6 so far will update later just 7:30 pm so 9:20 10 from the main coop 1 from silky land

Last edited:
Yay for all the new eggs!
Even my "winter laying" breeds don't lay in the winter.
Bruce dont' tell me that :oops::plbb
Still waiting for this April's girls to get productive in a regular way.
My Araucana was born early May and she is giving me a few a week. Nothing from the late May hatch though, thye are 17 weeks today so maybe in the next month or may have to wait - who knows :confused::D

Not checked this morning as they were all in there.

Back
Top Bottom