How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

9 out of 9 today!

Unfortunately my SF is acting broody again. I pulled her out of the nest box and forced her outside. When I went back out, she was back in. I sent her out again, and covered the boxes (since everyone laid today, I know they won’t need them til morning. I wouldn’t mind giving her eggs but she’s tried twice and she’s a horrible broody, gets up off the eggs for hours, and when I finally thought she would be good and I gave her eggs, she quit after about 17 days. What’s worse than a broody hen? A hen that is semi-broody and does a bad job. No eggs, snd can’t use her for hatching either. 🙄

They are all Light Sussex. Beautiful and friendly. Galena is an escape artist, she always slips past my kids when they go in.
That's one of the few breeds I've never raised, so I can't speak from experience. But I do know a couple of people who have them, and they've had hens go broody before. From what I understand, these girls tend to be broody later in the summer than some other breeds. But you could end up with a mama hen out of the bunch. :fl

That's one of the few breeds I've never raised, so I can't speak from experience. But I do know a couple of people who have them, and they've had hens go broody before. From what I understand, these girls tend to be broody later in the summer than some other breeds. But you could end up with a mama hen out of the bunch. :fl
We shall see. We can get hatching eggs about a half hour away. If none of them go broody by middle of next summer we will get the incubator out.

20230516_171946.jpg

10 for 12 so far today. I think one is a double yolker. It weighs 3 oz or 87g .

Back
Top Bottom