How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Confusing. 9 eggs from 33 hens. 2 with paper thin shells. This is down from average of 16 - 22 in the end of january. I am confused. They have plenty of pellets, scratch, mash, oystershell and are out rummaging around on the farm most all of most days. They have fat available, get greens every morning, and cooked fish a couple of days a week. Any comments from anyone?

I have found the 2 things that reduce my egg amount is cold weather and something spooking the hens. Vultures, dogs, or any type of predator that will mke them nervous cuts back thier production. If I chang my routine of feed and water or ignore them....any thing out of the ordinary. Happy hens, lots of eggs.

I got 6 eggs from 15 hens today. It turns out that one hen has decided to go broody in the favorite nest. So she started off with 5 eggs, now she has 18 because everyday the other hens go in and lay their eggs. While they do this, the broody goes out to grab a bite to eat and drink. Right now I don't have any other place to put her with her growing brood. She is not a large girl so it is getting a bit comical to see her sitting on so many eggs.

I got 6 of seven today
smile.png

Quote:
Same here. I thought of starting a new thread but will just ask here.

What do you chicken experts think is the reason the last 4 days my chickens are laying less eggs and much later in the day? We are in a warming trend the last week.
Yesterday 5 of 7

Today 4 of 7

About like this the last four days. My chickens are all well under a yr old and until 4-5 days ago have been laying 6-7 eggs every day for the last couple of months.

Why the change? is it the weather? The moon? Etc...?

...JP

BUMP

Last edited:
Quote:
Same here. I thought of starting a new thread but will just ask here.

What do you chicken experts think is the reason the last 4 days my chickens are laying less eggs and much later in the day? We are in a warming trend the last week.
Yesterday 5 of 7

Today 4 of 7

About like this the last four days. My chickens are all well under a yr old and until 4-5 days ago have been laying 6-7 eggs every day for the last couple of months.

Why the change? is it the weather? The moon? Etc...?

...JP

BUMP

Chickens lay on a cycle, and it isn't a 24 hour cycle, I've heard differing hours, but 28 hours seems to be the consensus. So, day by day, they get later and later and then run into nighttime - I think the cycle reset with nighttime. Some mornings when I go in there after a 'slow' day I'll find all kinds of eggs early on, that's the day after 'reset'.

12/14 yesterday, that's a big day for me now!! This is their second laying year, and those eggs are huge now!

Back
Top Bottom