How many eggs does your SFH lay..?

Alo

Songster
Jul 22, 2019
I really like the idea of having a flock of friendly birds, and Swedish Flower Hens seem perfect for that; but, it's hard to find an official amount of eggs I should expect...

Which is why I'm on this site.

Because so many people here know so much more about chickens than I do. Thank you Jesus, for all these wise people.

So... how many eggs does your Swedish Flower Hen lay?

And can anybody think of friendlier birds, or birds that are as friendly, that lay more eggs?

I really like the idea of having a flock of friendly birds, and Swedish Flower Hens seem perfect for that; but, it's hard to find an official amount of eggs I should expect...

Which is why I'm on this site.

Because so many people here know so much more about chickens than I do. Thank you Jesus, for all these wise people.

So... how many eggs does your Swedish Flower Hen lay?

And can anybody think of friendlier birds, or birds that are as friendly, that lay more eggs?
I had SFH that laid as many as 5 eggs per week and ones that laid as few as a half dozen eggs a year.

The last thing I need is a yard full of big hungry meat birds that don't lay eggs, but are so friendly I can't bring myself to eat them.

Mine is a good layer - has laid almost 120 in the first six months of this year. Her chicks aren't old enough to lay yet so I don't know if she'll pass it on.

Thank you.

I hope your chicks are great layers.

That's encouraging.

I'm glad I started this thread.

It's inspired me to shop carefully for SFH's, and not fill my yard full of chicks from just any bird.

Does anybody here sell eggs from a few generations of good laying SFH?

Last edited:
:gig this can be said of almost any non-high production layer.

Most chickens bring the feast or famine aspect with them,
eggs are a seasonal food.

Really?

I just bought 15 Silkies, 9 Bresse, and 6 Olandsk Dwarfs.

I got the Silkies as foster mothers that I read are great meat birds and great mixed in with meat birds.

I bought them to help speed up my breeding project of getting large-excellent meat and egg birds that are sex-linked to excellent little dual-purpose birds...
Thus getting a line of small birds that produce maximum eggs with a minimum of feed, with Bresse style breasts and meat; and getting big juicy meat birds from the same dwarf hen that's also a good layer...

...eventually, only needing two birds in my yard: to achieve the goal of getting large Bresse roasters, plus small eggs from little dwarfed Bresse- from one rooster and hen...

It seems like I could also pretty much accomplish my goal with Swedish Flower Hens. The meat might not be quite as good as Bresse, but I prefer the looks and from what I read, disposition of SFHs.

What breeds would you recommend as good layers, that are friendly, tame and get along with other roosters as good as or better than a SFH, and (not as important) make good meat birds?

Back
Top Bottom