How many eggs were laid by hens 150 years ago?

Further to @rockethoe 's post, #16 above, the last chapter of the same book is about the business side of poultry husbandry, with the aim of providing useful information for anyone thinking of setting up in this business. (L Robinson, Modern Poultry Husbandry 1948 - 1st edition, so truly reflecting the situation in Britain 75 years ago, which is half the time since the book whose statistics opened this thread, though the introductory caveat pushes it back a little further: "All figures are based on pre-war values, but it is hoped that sufficient information is given to enable the reader to make his own calculation when post-war prices have become more stable and all necessary equipment is freely available.)

Assume that the objective is about 1,000 layers and that at the outset day-old pullets are purchased...average production 13 dozen eggs per bird..."
(13 dozen = 156; he had stated on p. 13 that "the average for a well managed commercial farm is somewhere between 12 and 13 dozen")

"The figures presented clearly show the importance of stock quality and good management. For example, the average egg production may well be in the 168-180 range..." That was for chickens living on a farm with field arks and range in a system described as semi-intensive.

He then turned to battery farming, and a Midland Agricultural College report on an experiment over 1937-8 and 1938-9 with caged birds: average production per bird "rose from 192.6 in 1937-8 to 197.2 in 1938-9."

Back on p. 79 he'd noted that "birds with records of some 300 eggs in their first laying season are now comparatively common, and some breeders have so far improved their flocks that an average production of over 200 eggs per bird may be obtained." He foresaw that the breeder who allowed "egg production records, breed characteristics or other factors to induce him to breed from birds that lack stamina... is adopting a policy that can only lead to progressive deterioration of the stock, which will express itself in lower fertility, hatchability and rearability and an ever-ascending death rate among adult birds" (p. 102). Robinson went on to emphasize that constitutional vigour of the bird should take priority in any breeding programme, and then moderation in all other factors (e.g. egg production, egg size, body size, stamina, fertility, hatchability etc.). It appears that the poultry industry didn't follow his advice.

Edited to add: but they only live about 18 months long, 20 if they're lucky.
Mmmmm. Not in factory farming. That’s just a life of misery they have to endure 2 more months.
The hens are lucky with a longer life in a more spacious setup (like organic or Demeter). Or even better if they are kept in someone’s backyard and may live a few years more.

Maybe more important for you, I found a beautiful brochure with photos of the chicken history in the Netherlands. It has one paragraph about the creation of the Barnevelder around 1850 that was the first commercial breed on our country that laid all year round. They used Cochins and Buff Orpington's from America and selection to create this new production breed which was a good meat bird too. Page 8.
https://edepot.wur.nl/409848

I can’t copy text from the pdf on my phone to translate with Google. Can you on your computer?
If not I hope I to find time to do so one of these days.

The next article is interesting too. Its about the history of an old Dutch-Belgium breed that was spread by monks (monasteries) and kept by many small farmers in the south of the Netherlands and Belgium. The breed had a good laying capacity and the meat of castrated cockerels had an excellent and famous taste. http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/06N05A07.pdf

Mmmmm. Not in factory farming. That’s just a life of misery they have to endure 2 more months.
The hens are lucky with a longer life in a more spacious setup (like organic or Demeter). Or even better if they are kept in someone’s backyard and may live a few years more.

Maybe more important for you, I found a beautiful brochure with photos of the chicken history in the Netherlands. It has one paragraph about the creation of the Barnevelder around 1850 that was the first commercial breed on our country that laid all year round. They used Cochins and Buff Orpington's from America and selection to create this new production breed which was a good meat bird too. Page 8.

I can’t copy text from the pdf on my phone to translate with Google. Can you on your computer?
sadly no. But it's a beautiful booklet and Wageningen University are renowned for their work on poultry. You're right about their typical length of life, a lot of producers do keep them till they're about 22 months and then sell them to rescues as 2 year olds. But they've not been bred or fed for vigour or stamina so most don't enjoy good health for many more years.

Title: From Orpington to Production Chicken: A Historical Perspective on Specialization, Scale Enlargement, and Innovation (Pages 8-9)

The poultry industry has undergone significant development since around 1900. The import of inexpensive grain from America and the attractiveness of chickens as a supplementary income encouraged a more systematic poultry farming, especially among poorer farmers in the sandy areas of Gelderland, Brabant, and Limburg. Increasing knowledge of genetics, the development of breeding programs, and the introduction of new breeds (such as Cochins from China) further fueled this development.

The Barnevelder, once a champion laying hen with a growing international market for eggs, saw specialization and scale enlargement on the rise. By 1907, there was an egg export surplus for the first time. In the 1950s, an official standard for all breeds was established. Today, the merged association, Kleindier Liefhebbers Nederland (KLN), serves as the umbrella organization for 10,000 hobbyist poultry enthusiasts.

In the vicinity of Barneveld, chickens started displaying increasing uniformity around 1850, initially known as 'American Nuthoenders.' In 1898, a breeder in Barneveld reported creating a "very beautiful, strong, and heavy laying hen" through crossbreeding, with a "good winter laying" capability. In 1906, these chickens were intentionally crossed with Buff Orpingtons, leading to a selection for uniformity in color and type.

The Barnevelder, symbolizing the growing export and industrialization of the Dutch poultry sector, faced a decline with the advent of hybrid breeding in the 1950s. The strong, brown shell was crucial for exporting to England.

The rise of commercial poultry farming was accompanied by further organization within the sector. Milestones included the establishment of the Nederlandsche Hoender Club (NHC) in 1900 and the Vereeniging tot bevordering der Pluimveehouderij en tamme Konijnenteelt in Nederland (VPN). The two world wars and the economic crisis of the 1930s highlighted the need for large-scale investments. Innovations like large incubators, artificial brooders, and dry feeding methods emerged in the 1950s, along with the first fully automatic laying batteries.

In 1975, there were almost 19 million laying hens on over 3,000 farms. By 2015, the number of farms reduced to just over 1,000, yet they collectively housed over 35 million laying hens. The egg production per hen doubled in 50 years to over 400 eggs per hen in 100 weeks.

From 1900 onwards, traditional "farm chickens" in the Netherlands were replaced by breeds like White Leghorns, Rhode Island Reds, Barnevelders, Welsumers, and Noordhollandse Blauwen. Barnevelders, especially the dark brown variety, enjoyed success for a considerable period. In the mid-1930s, businesses transitioned to breeding "pure strains," generating revenue through the sale of chicks, young hens, and roosters.

The successful hybrid breeding practices from the United States arrived in the Netherlands in the early 1950s. Breeding companies introduced hybrid laying hens or broilers, and poultry farmers chose which "brand" suited their operations. These breeding companies maintained pure lines and selected within them, utilizing crossbreeding to achieve optimal hybrid end products and maximize the heterosis effect.

As of 2017, the majority of laying hens and broilers come from a few globally operating breeding companies. Hendrix Genetics, based in Boxmeer, Netherlands, is one such major player in supplying laying hens worldwide. Breeding companies rely on advanced methods and insights to continuously improve the efficiency of their breeding programs and maintain a competitive position in the market.

The next article is interesting too. Its about the history of an old Dutch-Belgium breed that was spread by monks (monasteries) and kept by many small farmers in the south of the Netherlands and Belgium. The breed had a good laying capacity and the meat of castrated cockerels had an excellent and famous taste. http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/06N05A07.pdf
This text was in the brochure too (page 10-11)
Almost extinct Chaam Chicken becomes a Slow Food sensation

The Chaam Chicken, locally known as Chaamse kiep, was kept on many farms as a utility chicken in the 19th and early 20th centuries south of Breda. It was known as a very hardy breed. In addition to a relatively high egg production, the capons, or castrated roosters, were especially known for their unique meat flavor.

I can't copy, paste and translate the pdf from aviculture for you. Maybe because the pdf is not 'safe'.

Back
Top Bottom