How many eggs???

TeaChick

Crowing
7 Years
May 5, 2013
Deep South
My Coop
My Coop
I want to increase my flock in the spring. I figure I'll be able to hatch out some peeps and wait several months. The ones that lay, we'll keep for eggs; the ones that don't give us breakfast, kind of have to become dinner.

On the brooding part of it:
I have a black Jersey Giant that went broody this year for her previous breeder, so I expect her to go broody for me next year. How many eggs should I give her to hatch out? How many can she sit on and how many peeps can she take care of well?
I also have a bantam Cochin frizzle. Being a Cochin, I expect her to go broody. I thought I would just let her do whatever she wants, but is there a limit to how many eggs I should let her sit on? How many peeps can she take good care of?

I have some gold Comets and there's one I think might go broody; she just strikes me as the mom type, if that makes any sense in the chicken world. Anyway, I can make spaces for a total of up to four broody hens. Again, IDK about how many eggs to let/have them sit on. ???

I don't think I want anymore Leghorns, so I think I'm only going to let my hens sit on brown eggs. I need chickens that earn their keep and the Leghorns fit that bill, but they're very standoffish, whereas the Comets are actually friendly birds.

Any and all advice and/or experience would be welcome and greatly appreciated!!! =)

I think how many eggs to give depends on the hen, as in her size and "fluffiness". You shouldn't give them more eggs than they can easily and comfortably cover when they are fluffed over the nest. If you give them too many they may try to cover all of them and eggs get pushed out at the edges, quite possibly causing them to die from getting too cold or jostled too much.

I think how many eggs to give depends on the hen, as in her size and "fluffiness". You shouldn't give them more eggs than they can easily and comfortably cover when they are fluffed over the nest. If you give them too many they may try to cover all of them and eggs get pushed out at the edges, quite possibly causing them to die from getting too cold or jostled too much.

I've never done this before, so I was wondering how many a Jersey Giant would be able to cover.

Also, I have a banty Cochin, so I thought I would just let her sit on her own eggs and see what happens.

Thanks for the general info!!! =)

Back
Top Bottom