How many feet of water hose can my well handle?

Debbie09011970

Songster
6 Years
Oct 29, 2017
Little Rock, Arkansas
I need to move my chicken house:
Where we had it they were getting picked off by chicken hawks so we moved it to an open field but they were miserable in the heat and hid under the trees at the edge of the field most of the day. That was last summer.
This year, we need to move it before summer to an area with lots of trees close together. That will solve them getting too hot and also hopefully solve the chicken hawks being able to fly down and pick them up.
The only problem is we have to move the huge pen about 200 feet from the well.
My SO says this will not work and I will fry the pump trying to use a water house every day to water them when summer hits.
Has anyone ever ran a water hose 200 feet from their house and did it hurt your pump? I am guessing it will be 30 minutes a day of use to fill up their swimming pool that I use in the summer.

The pen is so big we cannot put a roof on it so please don't tell me to just put a roof on it.
IT takes days to move it so moving it again this year is not an option. I want to get it right the first time.
IF you need to know, I have at least 70 chickens and I guesstimate the pen to be a half acre.

I'm sorry I can't help with your pump and hose issue, but the only way you can truly protect your flock from Hawks is to keep them securely penned.

While having cover of shrubs/bushes/trees can help the chickens hide, Hawks can certainly navigate through thick brush, forest and woods to hunt their prey.
We think of Hawks mainly as "aerial" predators, but they can land and walk right under bushes, buildings, etc., I've seen it with my own eyes.
So don't necessarily count on trees being a protector for your flock.

I agree, once and done is best!

70 chickens, 10Sq ft each = 700 sq ft minimum space.

A half acre is 21,000 + sq ft.

So, you can reduce pen size to help manage coverage, as one option. You could have a few smaller pens. You could create a mobile coop that gets moved to fresh grass once a week or something. If trailer is high enough, they can get shade underneath it and to a side that is shaded. Pen can be mobile and possibly covered easily, especially if mobile coop is a support for the roof/net.

The aerial predators are hard to deal with. It is also illegal to kill or harm a raptor in the US, so don’t go that route.

I am totally ignorant on thr matter of the hose, but I'm just going to use some ligic here. If I'm wrong, someone will correct me.

I don't think the length of the hose matters to your pump at all. You turn on the water and the water flows. It's going to flow no matter whether you have a two-foot hose or a 200-foot hose. The pump, or the well, doesn't care at all. It's just going to keep pumping water until you turn it off. It may take a while for the water to reach the end of the hose as it pushes the air out of the hose, but that doesn't hurt anything, it's just air. You just have to wait a few minutes for the water to get there.

If you can use the well to fill up their pool and water them while they are near the house, then I don't see a problem doing the same thing if they are farther away. But don't take my word for it. Call a plumber and ask. Good luck!

Last edited:
I need to move my chicken house:
Where we had it they were getting picked off by chicken hawks so we moved it to an open field but they were miserable in the heat and hid under the trees at the edge of the field most of the day. That was last summer.
This year, we need to move it before summer to an area with lots of trees close together. That will solve them getting too hot and also hopefully solve the chicken hawks being able to fly down and pick them up.
The only problem is we have to move the huge pen about 200 feet from the well.
My SO says this will not work and I will fry the pump trying to use a water house every day to water them when summer hits.
Has anyone ever ran a water hose 200 feet from their house and did it hurt your pump? I am guessing it will be 30 minutes a day of use to fill up their swimming pool that I use in the summer.

The pen is so big we cannot put a roof on it so please don't tell me to just put a roof on it.
IT takes days to move it so moving it again this year is not an option. I want to get it right the first time.
IF you need to know, I have at least 70 chickens and I guesstimate the pen to be a half acre.
We have two pumps, one in a well for the house, the other in the stream for the garden. The latter pumps water up a steep hill to the orchard and that's at least 200'. The GPM will suffer a little for the length, but distance isn't hurting the pump, it's the hill making it work a little harder.

Could you perhaps set up rain barrels?

We have two pumps, one in a well for the house, the other in the stream for the garden. The latter pumps water up a steep hill to the orchard and that's at least 200'. The GPM will suffer a little for the length, but distance isn't hurting the pump, it's the hill making it work a little harder.

Could you perhaps set up rain barrels?
maybe...we have thought about rain barrels.

Back
Top Bottom