How many feet of water hose can my well handle?

I agree, once and done is best!

70 chickens, 10Sq ft each = 700 sq ft minimum space.

A half acre is 21,000 + sq ft.

So, you can reduce pen size to help manage coverage, as one option. You could have a few smaller pens. You could create a mobile coop that gets moved to fresh grass once a week or something. If trailer is high enough, they can get shade underneath it and to a side that is shaded. Pen can be mobile and possibly covered easily, especially if mobile coop is a support for the roof/net.

The aerial predators are hard to deal with. It is also illegal to kill or harm a raptor in the US, so don’t go that route.
I want them to be able to free range in the huge pen. They are in mobile pen right now and it's costing me way too much in feed. 700 feet is not near enough for 70 chickens to free range. The pen size is not the question. The question is that I have found a safe spot--safe from chicken hawks--and I need to be able to water them. The question was about the water hose. The pen size is not debatable as we are sure we want them in a large pen free ranging and we are positive we are adding more chickens.

I want them to be able to free range in the huge pen. They are in mobile pen right now and it's costing me way too much in feed. 700 feet is not near enough for 70 chickens to free range. The pen size is not the question. The question is that I have found a safe spot--safe from chicken hawks--and I need to be able to water them. The question was about the water hose. The pen size is not debatable as we are sure we want them in a large pen free ranging and we are positive we are adding more chickens.
You’re welcome for the advice. You did express concern about chicken hawks. A valid concern. Trees will not be a sure fire protection, as others noted. Personally, I would not house 70 chickens in 700 square feet, and it is the MINIMUM, not the best, unless you have blinds, roosts, levels for them to go to. But, reducing size, or in other ways altering your setup will help you to provide aerial coverage.

In the Future, sticking to one topic might serve you better rather than reprimanding a helpful BYCer that addressed one of your concerns, that you brought up in addition to your main concern.

You are not knowledgeable about your well. I suggest a call or visit to your health department -they will likely have a file on your well or can direct you to the proper place. Knowing your specific info is more helpful than asking random people. Well is dug to a certain depth, into a certain substrate- this is very specific to YOUR well. The local department will better guide you on expected flow rates/volumes of water, and any expected issues common to your area (and potential water quality issues to test for). Don’t forget there is a pump in your well, and a pressure tank to consider too. No BYCer knows this info bc it’s your well.

I don't think that's true at all.

I had a cattle dog that did for me.
I said that because I've had hawks swoop down and snatch half-grown chicks up less than six feet away from me, the chick's mother(s) and my own LGD and there wasn't a darn thing any of us could do about it.

I'd be very interested to know how your cattle dog protected your chickens from an aerial predator!

Example from experience: years ago, we ran 150-200 foot hose (in my case, it was uphill) from a hydrant, and it pushed a very low amount of water for my needs. It didn’t do anything negative to the well pump. I ultimately just found it easier to carry 1 gallon and 5 gallon water containers in my UTV.

I said that because I've had hawks swoop down and snatch half-grown chicks up less than six feet away from me, the chick's mother(s) and my own LGD and there wasn't a darn thing any of us could do about it.

I'd be very interested to know how your cattle dog protected your chickens from an aerial predator!
Lol, my cattle dog took a great horned owl out when it swooped down and then played toss with it. Never even got puncture wounds. Also only gave the owl a couple of punctures on the wing and some bruises. He was exceptional and could catch birds as they dove down. He was also very good at herding.

I'm running 150' to the coop and treat the hose as just another "pipe" with a shut off at the nozzle, the pump reacts the same as it would to the kitchen sink. My problem is when a freeze is on I have to unhook the hose at the house and bleed the line 'cause now I have to hump 5 gal of water out to the birds. I know, "poor baby, boo hoo"

I'm running 150' to the coop and treat the hose as just another "pipe" with a shut off at the nozzle, the pump reacts the same as it would to the kitchen sink. My problem is when a freeze is on I have to unhook the hose at the house and bleed the line 'cause now I have to hump 5 gal of water out to the birds. I know, "poor baby, boo hoo"
We are doing something similar, but....

With the option to switch it to hot water in the winter.

Filling a 5 gallon bucket 10x is obnoxious and I don't want to do it again next winter.
(Eta: will still have to empty and bleed, but won't have to tote)

Back
Top Bottom