How many hens to a drake?

mrosehogge

In the Brooder
Feb 15, 2023
Hello! The research I’ve done shows that when there are multiple drakes what the ratio should be but I only have one drake and two hens. I’m curious if that’s enough. My ducks are in the same run as my chickens. I really don’t want him to try and mate with the chickens. The drake is a pekin and my hens are a pekin and khaki, they’re roughly all 4 months old.

I'd look for at least 2 more female ducks. That way your female ducks won't be overused and less worry about the drake going after your hens. My drakes are in with chickens but they aren't in a run so everyone can stay away from each other. But they are inside the coop at night altogether.

Drakes are shockingly randy. I have five females to one drake, and he's still rushing around after them all day. He's especially keen on my little Indian runner, who's half his weight and has learnt to hide from him. The breeder I bought my ducks from said 1:5 is the minimum for the sake of the females' health.

I'd look for at least 2 more female ducks. That way your female ducks won't be overused and less worry about the drake going after your hens. My drakes are in with chickens but they aren't in a run so everyone can stay away from each other. But they are inside the coop at night altogether.
Mine free range during the day but I want everyone to be happy and be over mated with. Thank you !!

Drakes are shockingly randy. I have five females to one drake, and he's still rushing around after them all day. He's especially keen on my little Indian runner, who's half his weight and has learnt to hide from him. The breeder I bought my ducks from said 1:5 is the minimum for the sake of the females' health.
Thanks!! Looks like I’m going duck shopping 🤣

Hello! The research I’ve done shows that when there are multiple drakes what the ratio should be but I only have one drake and two hens. I’m curious if that’s enough. My ducks are in the same run as my chickens. I really don’t want him to try and mate with the chickens. The drake is a pekin and my hens are a pekin and khaki, they’re roughly all 4 months old.
I had 9 hens with my Mallard/Rouen drake but he had his favorite and made her head bleed so he is in drake jail now. Sometimes you can have a whole flock of females and they will pick one as their property and forget about the rest, over mating it. I hope you have good luck with yours.

I have 2 3 yr old cayuga drakes. I was planning to add 2 female cayugas. Now I'm reading that may be a bad idea? Oh boy! Maybe just enjoy my boys and be eggless.
It really depends on the drakes. I have had one drake to 9 hens and he still had to be separated because he constantly picked on one which was his favorite. He would make her head bleed. Some people have had only one of each and gotten by with it. You would not know until you tried it but it might be if you want eggs during mating season you would have to keep them apart if they are too hard on them. Good luck with your decision.

It really depends on the drakes. I have had one drake to 9 hens and he still had to be separated because he constantly picked on one which was his favorite. He would make her head bleed. Some people have had only one of each and gotten by with it. You would not know until you tried it but it might be if you want eggs during mating season you would have to keep them apart if they are too hard on them. Good luck with your decision.
Thank you for your response. I'm holding off for now.

Back
Top Bottom