How many horizontal nipples each and how big should bottles be for 25 standard chicks?

Rhoise

Songster
8 Years
Apr 26, 2012
Boise, Idaho
Hi folks!
I'm creating a brooder out of a refrigerator box(3.5W x 7L x 2.5H). Wondering how many nipples I should install in each bottle, and how many bottles I should provide for 25 chicks? These bottles I am using hold 1.5 quarts of water each above the level of the nipples.

I'd make up a couple with one nipple on each of three sides of the bottle, then you can set it against the side of brooder and use a small bungie cord to keep it from getting knocked over.

Love the fridge boxes, you might need couple for 25 chicks after a couple weeks.

Thanks for answering my post, cool brooder! I have raised ducks and chicks over the years in cardboard boxes, and wet shavings have always been annoying. I don't have much experience with these nipples for chicks only tried the vertical ones last summer on my old hens. I like the bungee idea and was thinking two drinkers with three nipples each. I got the bottles from a recycle bin and was able to use them without any sealant or leaks so as they grow I can reuse the nipples on a bigger bucket.

Last edited:
Thanks for answering my post, cool brooder! I have raised ducks and chicks over the years in cardboard boxes, and wet shavings have always been annoying. I don't have much experience with these nipples for chicks only tried the vertical ones last summer on my old hens. I like the bungee idea and was thinking two drinkers with three nipples each. I got the bottles from a recycle bin and was able to use them without any sealant or leaks so as they grow I can reuse the nipples on a bigger bucket.
Oh that box is lined with 6ml plastic and I use sand as bedding.

Back
Top Bottom