How many mealworms is too many?

Mine probably gets about 5 daily, I use them to teach them tricks.

For example, my quail, Sugar, will walk up my arm and onto my shoulder if I open the cage door and put my hand out in front of her palm-up because she knows she gets treats at the end.
When I open the door on their cage another one of my quail, George, will walk to it and wait for my signal. Only after I tap on the ground in a certain rhythm will she fly to that exact spot expecting a mealworm.

The other birds aren't as tame, so I don't try teaching them tricks. I think this is the furthest you can go with quail tricks, I doubt they have the mental capacity for anything more.
You are definitely going overboard on the treats.

I do health checks on each bird once a week, I have seven chickens which works out to one chicken each night that I have a look over. That’s when they get their pinch of mealworms, usually around 2-5.

One of my hens Evie usually comes back with me to the house after I let them out in the morning so that she can have a mealworm, so she probably gets a little more on average. She’s also one of my most robust hens.

I do health checks on each bird once a week, I have seven chickens which works out to one chicken each night that I have a look over. That’s when they get their pinch of mealworms, usually around 2-5.

One of my hens Evie usually comes back with me to the house after I let them out in the morning so that she can have a mealworm, so she probably gets a little more on average. She’s also one of my most robust hens.
That may be fine for chickens, but quail are much smaller.

You are definitely going overboard on the treats.
They are mini mealworms, does that make a difference? I have large ones and small ones. The small ones (unbroken) are about 1.5cm long and really thin. The big ones are 3.5 cm long without breakage. I usually give them the small ones.

They are mini mealworms, does that make a difference? I have large ones and small ones. The small ones (unbroken) are about 1.5cm long and really thin. The big ones are 3.5 cm long without breakage. I usually give them the small ones.
I was going to suggest breaking them in half and give them halves, but seriously, I understand that they love the treats and it's fun to give them, but do you want them to die from obesity and heart failure?

I was going to suggest breaking them in half and give them halves, but seriously, I understand that they love the treats and it's fun to give them, but do you want them to die from obesity and heart failure?
No..
I was just wondering if you meant the big worms or little ones.

Back
Top Bottom