how many meaties could i pasture in a 4 x 8 chx tractor

jmc

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
salatin says he puts 100 birds in a 120 sq. ft. tractor until slaughter. (see g. damerow on meat birds in her book)

that means i could put up to 26.6 in my 32 sq. ft. tractor. that seems to dense for me.

i would probably go with ten.

whaddya think.

COULD i do more--maybe 15 or 20..............?

TX!

I think 15 is good at least thats what I'd put in there. Just in case you wanna have a BBQ.
wink.png

I had 15 plus 6 poults in mine, 4x8. It was big enough. I kept the water at one end and food at the other so they'd have to move around, and I fed twice a day so they wouldn't gain weight too fast and die. They would run to me and actually made a pounding sound! Too cute. It worked, I didn't lose any. Towards the end I had to move the tractor at least 3 times a day and 5 would have been better, they generate sooo much poop! They were little chubby cutie pies, it was hard to take them to the butcher. I look forward to having some Freedom Rangers and La Fleche this year!

thank you both. i am pleasantly surprised i could 'get' that no. of boids in a 4 x 8!

NOW,

1. could one do fr. rangers in similar fashion?

2. maybe ALL meaties could be done in this fashion, and with this density.............

would you agree?

i would like to thank you for helping. this 'meatie' thing has suddenly burst into my consciousness and i'd really like to try it.

Quote:
Just to see how it goes you may want to try your hand at butchering a couple of birds before committing to raising a dozen or two.

-DB

Last edited:
db. very good and sage advice.

Fortunately, I have experience processing waterfowl, so i am not a complete foreigner.

thanks

So would a baker's dozen Freedom Rangers in a 3x8 tractor be pushing it? I'm hoping I can get by with just one tractor and need the 3' width to get out the gate to fertilize the front yard (can't wait to see the neighbors' reactions..).

There'd be a feeder and waterer hanging in there too which would take up more space so the real size would be about 3x7.

Also, regarding what was posted above:

salatin says he puts 100 birds in a 120 sq. ft. tractor until slaughter.

This seems pretty cramped and makes me think he's letting them out for a lot of the day. Any comments?​

invite them over for a cookout
wink.png
But 13 in a 21sq foot is tight less than 2sq foot ea. they dont need much space but some, if i where you I'd only put 7 maybe 8 in there and move it alot.

Back
Top Bottom