How many of you FULLY Free Range your Cornish X Meaties? Tractors do not count.

Pics
Marking my spot on here. This is a great thread. I was thinking I would try free ranging this summer, now I know I will. Luckily I have a huge barn with very large cages, 15 x 30 or so. Still when you put 50 meaties in there, it was a full time job trying to keep them clean. I am so impressed with the pictures of the CX in this thread, they are beautiful white and their feet are so clean. The downstairs of my barn has an area that is 35 x 40, has a chicken door on it as I use this for the entire chicken population in the winter when they are not in the breeder pens. I am going to use it for the cx's this year. It is mostly underground except the side that is open to the pasture, so it stays naturally cool in the summer.

That sounds great.
thumbsup.gif

I'd never considered the Cornish X either given what I've read about their shortened life spans. My plan was to get meat birds and layers, keep them in separate areas, and allow half the group of each to stay to provide is with the next generation. From what I read you couldn't let the Cornish X live that long. So I guess it really depends on how you keep them? Still not sure I'd get any. We're bringing in Jersey Giants and likely some Light Brahmas. And we do plan on free ranging them in a fenced area. I'm very worried about predators, but I guess we'll see how it goes as time passes. :)
My two hold backs were hatched June 25th. They are what, 8 months old now? Laying okay in the cold. Not great layers right now, but I have eggs in the incubator. Both are penned in my Barred Rock breeding pen.

Marking my spot on here. This is a great thread. I was thinking I would try free ranging this summer, now I know I will. Luckily I have a huge barn with very large cages, 15 x 30 or so. Still when you put 50 meaties in there, it was a full time job trying to keep them clean. I am so impressed with the pictures of the CX in this thread, they are beautiful white and their feet are so clean. The downstairs of my barn has an area that is 35 x 40, has a chicken door on it as I use this for the entire chicken population in the winter when they are not in the breeder pens. I am going to use it for the cx's this year. It is mostly underground except the side that is open to the pasture, so it stays naturally cool in the summer.
woot.gif
That's great you are willing to give it a go!

So the JG are a bad choice for meaties because of how long it takes them to get to size.
barnie.gif
So I'm punting.

We still have Brahmas available locally. Would they be a good meatie choice? I really don't want the CX. I'm hoping I can buy a dozen of whatever and have them around for a few years to continue to produce more each year. I don't want to lose them after a year.

Any suggestions? I do want to free range them but they'd be in a fenced area with a coop. We lock ours up before the sun goes down and they don't come out until the sun is up. The free-free range layers that can go all over the pasture and all seem to do better this way. When they were out at dawn and dusk we lost three of them to probably raccoons.

We're in middle TN. Summer temps can be pretty high. There have been some summers we're reached low triple digits. Winters are usually mild but below zero days do happen. I want something that will be a good size at 10 week or so and be able to handle the temps year round since I'll keep most of the group we purchase for creating the next generation.

Any ideas?

So the JG are a bad choice for meaties because of how long it takes them to get to size.
barnie.gif
So I'm punting.

We still have Brahmas available locally. Would they be a good meatie choice? I really don't want the CX. I'm hoping I can buy a dozen of whatever and have them around for a few years to continue to produce more each year. I don't want to lose them after a year.

Any suggestions? I do want to free range them but they'd be in a fenced area with a coop. We lock ours up before the sun goes down and they don't come out until the sun is up. The free-free range layers that can go all over the pasture and all seem to do better this way. When they were out at dawn and dusk we lost three of them to probably raccoons.

We're in middle TN. Summer temps can be pretty high. There have been some summers we're reached low triple digits. Winters are usually mild but below zero days do happen. I want something that will be a good size at 10 week or so and be able to handle the temps year round since I'll keep most of the group we purchase for creating the next generation.

Any ideas?

Plymouth White Rocks...the most meaty of the dual purpose breeds and also excellent layers. They lend genes to the CX bloodlines and that's for a good reason...they have excellent meat qualities. Gentle, good on forage and free range, thrifty on feed(this means you won't have to feed them a ton of food to get them to put on meat), hardy to the max.

Plymouth White Rocks...the most meaty of the dual purpose breeds and also excellent layers. They lend genes to the CX bloodlines and that's for a good reason...they have excellent meat qualities. Gentle, good on forage and free range, thrifty on feed(this means you won't have to feed them a ton of food to get them to put on meat), hardy to the max.
*snort* And I already have White Rocks!!!!!! Bahahaha!!!! Just my luck. I'm trying to be so darn smart and looking at other breeds and here I've got what I needed all along!

Thank you
clap.gif

You are way ahead of the pack then...they are the royal family of chickendom, IMO.
big_smile.png
They are pretty awesome. Our Black Australorp roo is my favorite of our birds, but it's just because he's so darn handsome. Our grandchicken Bertha, a black sex link, is my favorite of everyone here though. They're all pretty incredible though. I love our little group

Well, considering it seems like we won't be adding many chickens to the flock, maybe I'll just shore up the fence in the back and keep them confined to this one yard instead of letting everyone roam all over. I always worry about predators. Oh, and it means I wouldn't need another hen house either. That'll save me about $400 in supplies! Maybe I can put it toward fencing for goats and a couple mules.................
lau.gif
My poor hubby has no clue what he's gotten himself into, letting me have just a few chickens.

Last edited:
They are pretty awesome. Our Black Australorp roo is my favorite of our birds, but it's just because he's so darn handsome. Our grandchicken Bertha, a black sex link, is my favorite of everyone here though. They're all pretty incredible though. I love our little group

Well, considering it seems like we won't be adding many chickens to the flock, maybe I'll just shore up the fence in the back and keep them confined to this one yard instead of letting everyone roam all over. I always worry about predators. Oh, and it means I wouldn't need another hen house either. That'll save me about $400 in supplies! Maybe I can put it toward fencing for goats and a couple mules.................
lau.gif
My poor hubby has no clue what he's gotten himself into, letting me have just a few chickens.

This is a vid you have got to see....and show to your husband:

0.jpg

This is a vid you have got to see....and show to your husband:

0.jpg
OMG, greatest video EVER!!! I laughed so hard. It's so true!!!! Hubby will love this. If we're late with lunch for the girls he comes in and tells me that they're out back with pitch forks and torches and he's afraid to go out! We make up all kinds of scenarios for them, speak for them, etc. And yes, they're definitely gateway drugs! My five year plan here is to raise and grow at least 90% of what we consume. I spend all day on line looking at goats and hogs and donkeys and other fowl. Instead of wanting to go to a mall like most females, I drool in Lowe's looking at fencing supplies and garden gear. This is the best video! Thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom