How many people have buff Orpingtons

Color is off - it's from my phone. They all have golden feathers/down.

Originally 5 ladies and a Mister, two of them went broody last spring, so now we're up to 9. I gave the lil roosters a new home with a friend.

The original ones are so friendly and NEVER has Mister offered any aggression to my 5-year old. He picks tidbits out of my hand and clucks for his ladies to come get it. They all come running when they hear my car coming down the driveway - little hairy at times. But the hatchlings are a different matter, nobody can get near them and they growl (yes they do!) and peck as soon as a hand approaches. My guess is because they weren't hand raised, they certainly didn't get it from their mothers.

Funny chickens - two of them went broody at the same time and I split the eggs between them. One mother was so successful she even stole two away from the other hen. The other hen was left with one and unfortunately it died at 2 days - looked like it had giant pasty butt, but that wasn't it - almost like there was still yolk attached and the rear hadn't completely formed. Sad. It's mama was incredibly angry for 3 days anytime she saw her sister and babies. I've never seen such an angry hen. Eventually she got over it - I isolated her for those 3 days. I'll try to make it up to her this spring.

1f603.png
1f413.png
1f413.png
1f413.png

I have 4! we just got them last week and I am not sure if they are pullets or Roos yet (hoping for pullets) and we also have one Red Pullet. So excited to watch then grow!

Even though I've only had two ever, I think they really truly are the best breed ever because of their super friendliness. If you want a pet chicken, this breed is a good choice.

I have only one now. Golden ray of sunshine and happiness, she is.

I have not got more only because I am to busy accumulating and 'trying out' other chicken breeds. When I'm done with that, you betcha I will have more Buffs.

Last month we got 2 BO chicks from the feed store. Suppose to be girls-but we all know how that goes!
hmm.png
Either way, I am excited to have a couple from this breed.

Back
Top Bottom