How many roosters can live together in one coop?

Quote:
It depends on the rooster. Some of the rooster aren't active mating the hens so the egg won't fertilize.

I have eight and they live together just fine.
One is for sure the main man and runs the show.
We have not had fighting.maybe just lucky or maybe our Boots is a good leader.
I saw one of the young roo's trying to mount a hen the other day.
She was screaming like crazy.. Boots ran over, grabbed that young roo by the neck and threw him on the ground.
That was the end of it...The young one walked off.

But to answer the question.they each have thier own personality so it is hard to say......
Hopefully they will just establish a pecking order.
I read somewhere 1 to 8 hens.but someone more experienced may have a better answer..
smile.png

Good luck

I have a SLEW of roosters. However, I also have 8 coops of various sizes. Everybody chooses which coop s/he wishes to spend the night. Usually it's the same one, but there has been some coop-hopping going on of late.

The dominant rooster keeps everybody in line.

There is no fighting amongst my flock. Sometimes there's a session of neck-feather flaring, or chest-bumping, or the dominant rooster knocks a lower-status roo off a hen (or kicks his butt if he's acting squirrely around ME).

I am simply amazed and thrilled that my flock members get along so well.

But the generally accepted optimal fertility ratio of hens to rooster is 10/1.

Aloha,

Here are old Posts that can assist you with rooster per hen amount.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=293425

I have have 2 roos per 14 hens in one cage. There is a definite Alpha the second is a slider/opportunistic roo. Very little violence and the hens will submit as needed but mostly will breed with the Alpha.

The largest cage I have 6 roos (with a pecking order established) per my 24 large gals. But there is ample room and the Alpha and Beta roos are kings while the Alpha tolerates the Slider roo (His son/brother), the Beta will detest more than tolerate the "Slider roo" breeding rights.

So the amount you have are sufficient depending on the size of the rooster you have with the size of the hens..

Last edited:
A book I read says that a good roo to hen ratio is one rooster for ten hens, and for feather-footed breeds, one roo for about eight hens.

I've only had two roos ever get along in my life, and the rest tried to kill each other. If you can get your roos to get along, and not over-mate the hens, more power to ya, you're lucky.
lol.png

I am new to everything chickens I recently bought 10 chicks 4 from one place that I was told were pullets and 6 straight run from another place my first four are a little over a month old and my other 6 are 3weeks going on 4 and I am afraid I have 4 roos with a possible 2 and about 4 hens I'm no expert but I have done my research it didn't cross my mind that I would possibly have more than one roo all my chickens have been in the same brooder since I purchased them would they be ok? they do occasionally peck but once I say stop and be nice they seem to listen

I am new to everything chickens I recently bought 10 chicks 4 from one place that I was told were pullets and 6 straight run from another place my first four are a little over a month old and my other 6 are 3weeks going on 4 and I am afraid I have 4 roos with a possible 2 and about 4 hens I'm no expert but I have done my research it didn't cross my mind that I would possibly have more than one roo all my chickens have been in the same brooder since I purchased them would they be ok? they do occasionally peck but once I say stop and be nice they seem to listen
So you think you have 4 cockerels and 6 pullets? They're fine now but that will change when the males hit the teenage stage. That's way too much testosterone for so few females. At some point you will need to separate them and choose one male to keep. If you keep any.

Back
Top Bottom