How many times can I reuse fermented liquid

Kichibo

In the Brooder
Nov 21, 2023
Got a new round of chicks and I have been fermenting the organic crumbles i have them on. They love the mash and seem to be doing well at 1.5 weeks old. Since they grow so fast, it's difficult to tell how much they will eat, so to keep the fermentation chain going faster as their needs change, i have been transferring the liquid from the prior batch to the new batch to kick start the process. My question is, how many times can I do that? Is there a point at which that might become unsafe? So far, each batch has smelled appropriately fermented with no bad odors or mold, but as chicks, there isn't much room for error if I make them sick, so i wanted to know of there is a problem with continuously starting a new batch with a continuous chain of liquid from previous batches.

Got a new round of chicks and I have been fermenting the organic crumbles i have them on. They love the mash and seem to be doing well at 1.5 weeks old. Since they grow so fast, it's difficult to tell how much they will eat, so to keep the fermentation chain going faster as their needs change, i have been transferring the liquid from the prior batch to the new batch to kick start the process. My question is, how many times can I do that? Is there a point at which that might become unsafe? So far, each batch has smelled appropriately fermented with no bad odors or mold, but as chicks, there isn't much room for error if I make them sick, so i wanted to know of there is a problem with continuously starting a new batch with a continuous chain of liquid from previous batches.
I do it differently than you as far as making it with quart jars and the only time I reuse the liquid is if I forgot to do it one day and need to skip a day of fermenting.

This is much like the sourdough starter. It can go on forever. Your nose is the key to knowing if it's going bad.

I do it differently than you as far as making it with quart jars and the only time I reuse the liquid is if I forgot to do it one day and need to skip a day of fermenting.

This is much like the sourdough starter. It can go on forever. Your nose is the key to knowing if it's going bad.
I do quart jars for my adult birds and keep a rotation going, but I know how much they eat each day. With the itty bitty babies, it changes so fast and this is only my second year getting chicks. Hard to keep up! Tyvm, I will keep using it and just watch closely

Back
Top Bottom