How many?

Based on your coop size I'd say no more than 4 standard size chickens. Honestly though, much depends on whether you intend on free ranging them or if they will be confined to the run, whether your run is covered/partially enclosed, as well as what your climate is. Those factors can drastically change how many birds you can house and still keep them healthy and content.

3. I know the "numbers" say you could have 4 hens in that coop, but IMO, in your climate, that's going to be too many in the winter. Unless you have tons of ventilation and a covered run, they're going to get cabin fever trying to stay out of the weather in the shelter. Cabin fever for chickens translates to egg eating, feather pecking and cannibalism.

The run is 75% covered and plan on having them in the coop only at night in the winter/pop door always open in better seasons. They are small (not bantam) to average size breeds.

I have 3 production reds that are 7 weeks old and 3 australorp/americauna mixes that are 5 weeks old,with my space,covered run,and climate,and I do have good venting. (3 in gap all around roof),should I be good?

The problem is you have no "wiggle room" in the coop. Technically you have enough room for 1 linear foot of roost space per bird. And technically you have enough room to allow a foot in front and back of each roost. What happens when the bossy birds won't let the more meek birds onto their roost? Your coop is so small their will be no room for the birds to spread out. They'll either get the crap beaten out of them or be forced to sleep in the pen. Or maybe they make it in the coop but become the victim of feather picking. Or are just so stressed that they don't lay. It might happen. Just read enough threads and you'll see others with problems stemming from overcrowding.

I had 6 hens in a 4x6' coop and 8x12' covered run. Even though my entire run is covered and wrapped in tarps to keep it clear of snow it was still cramped. I expanded the coop and rearranged the interior to maximize floor space after that first winter and it is better.

I say start small. See how your coop and run serve you through the winter then decide if you want to add to your flock.

BTW, does the coop dimensions you gave include nest boxes?

Does not have nest boxes yet. I was planning to either expand or build a second coop in the near future, I'll probably expidite those plans now before snow starts falling.

Back
Top Bottom