How many?

wilobrookfarms

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 23, 2011
I was wondering? How many silkie's would fit comfortably in a 6x8 coop, with a 10x20 attached run? I know the standard 2 sq for bantie's, and 4 sq for standards, but with silkie's not roosting will it differ.? I feel I'll be wasting alot of my coops vertical space with out the roosts etc?

The rule about 4 sq ft/bird (std size) and 3 sq ft/bird (bantam) in a coop means floor space l x w, not height.
The same goes with the 10 sq. ft/bird for run... does not include height.

These are general rules, with suggested minimums. If your birds are overcrowded, they will be more likely to peck each other.

Bigger is better in this case.

I have a tiny little dark blue Silkie who likes to roost on top of the waterer. Some Silkies will roost, some like to pile on the floor.

Last edited:
:So a 6x8 coop will house 16? Using the 3 sq requirments? I've heard 2sq, 2.5 sq, 3 sq?? per bantie. Uggh! Confusing. I know the bigger the better, but my Silkies are so different than my "normal" chickens, I thought maybe a Silkie expert would chime in and give me some help.
big_smile.png

According to Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens:

Bantam Size 21 weeks and up:
2 sq. ft per bird (open house)
5 sq. ft per bird (confined housing)
7 sq. ft per bird (caged)

I would still go by the 4 sq. ft per bird for the coop in case you ever decide to try other breeds. So many people on here say they wished they had made their coop bigger.

Back
Top Bottom