How much coop space for ducks?

Chickiee

Songster
7 Years
Feb 13, 2012
Jackson, WI (Southeast WI)
Hi! I have 2 Pekin ducklings that will be housed in a coop (in about 4 weeks) with their 9 chick brooder box mates. I know how much square footage to allow in a coop for healthy chickens, but how much square footage per duck is needed in the coop? They will all have access to a netting- covered 10'x10' dog run and free range when I'm outside with them. Thanks!

I'm new to this chicken duck thing.We got 14 hens and four ducks 2 Peking and 2 black Swedish. We had a 5x7 coup built.We installed a pull-it shut auto chicken door (greatest thing ever) we raised the ducks as if they were chickens and so far so good. Ducks on the floor and chickens on the roots.The square foot requirements don't hold true for chickens.We could fit another 10 hens if we wanted and they would be fine. The only issue is that the nest boxes must be raised so the ducks do not sleep/mess in the boxes.We just started getting eggs yesterday 2 duck 1 chicken.After five months everything has gone smoothly.The duckchickens took longer to go in the coup one their own than the chickenchickens.Th other side effect is that it took the duckchickens four months before they would swim in the pond.

Must say we truly enjoy all of our chickens...

Btw,they free range all day....

Jay

Our ducks took longer to convince that it's bedtime too. Every night they will let the chickens go in and they will lay just outside the gate until it's almost pitch black. Sassies.

I would double the size of the area for the ducks. They need the floor space versus the roosts for the chickens. If they will have access to the run all the time, then 4sqft per duck should be fine for sleeping at night. Will they be sharing the run space with the chickens as well? I've noticed that with my two Pekins that they tend to stomp around and will not hesitate to step on anyone that's in their way! LOL. That might be the reason for a bit more room for them.

Thank you everyone for the input! I want to make sure everyone is happy and not crowded. Ducks and chickens will utilize the outside run together. Because of all the Coyotes, etc in the area, they all will have a curfew at dusk and go in for the night. Tweetyvoice, lol, it's the feet! The ducks are growing crazy fast and those feet! I've had to enlarge my brooder box twice in the last 10 days just to make sure the chicks can get out of the way of the two moose in there with them! ;) Have to admit, ducks have great personality, though, and are a lot of fun.

Ah, decisions, decisions... To coop together or not to coop together. The other question is about a sleeping area inside the coop for ducks... Straw in a corner? Or, an actual little boxed out area with straw?

Back
Top Bottom