How Much DE (Diatomaceous Earth) Should I Feed My Chickens

CarolynF

Crowing
11 Years
May 11, 2011
Puget Sound
My Coop
My Coop
I've been searching the forums but haven't found the answer to this. How much DE (diatomaceous earth) should I be feeding? I only have 2 chickens right now so I only put out about 1 lb of food at a time. Would I add a tablespoon, teaspoon, 1 ounce... ? This one seems to be a tuffy for me!
caf.gif

THANKS!

I read often on here people adamantly claim that there is no benefit to using DE in their feed, but a few nutrition experts whose opinions and practices I glean from highly recommend it. I think really that there a lot of outlandish claims of DE being some magical cure-all and that brings on the detractors. Oh well. I don't claim to be an expert, I just try to learn from those who I believe know their stuff. One thing for sure, my chickens' poop is not the runny mess that "bird poop" typically is, but nice and well-formed little logs like Dr. Oz would be proud of and it doesn't stink nearly as much either. Even my peeps drop the cutest little turds and I recently "rescued" a fledgling pigeon and fed my peep food to it - the poopies went from runny, messy bird-like poops to nice and well-formed turds. A good looking turd is a sign of a healthy bird.

The generally recommended inclusion limit for DE is....(going on an uncertain memory) 1 or 2% by weight, not volume. You can Google it easily enough, just keep in mind that generally any ingredient(s) discussed are more appropriately discussed in terms of weight, as a percentage of the entire food, not by volume, so hopefully you might have access to a gram scale, or "know a guy" with one.
smile.png

Very interesting division of opinions. Not unlike the controversy surrounding many food supplements people use for themselves. I found one study done with 16,000 chickens. They divided the population into 2 groups of 8,000 each. Not backyard chickens of course, but interesting anyway. There were a couple of significant differences noted. You can find the description here .

And since we are all entitled to our own opinions, and our lives are filled with more than enough tension, let's try to be patient with alternate points of view.

OP

I put a large cupful of DE into a 28lb mix of corn, sunflower seeds & layers pellets
which lasts about two-three weeks. I also dust the nesting boxes and coop wood shavings with
about 1/2 cup after each weekly change. I use Dyna-a-mite spray
for the perches and their legs to keep scaly leg mites away. My 12 rescue hens, aged
1 to 5 yrs, are free-range for about two hours a day, but are otherwise
penned in a large roomy space. (I can't let them out all day- I would have no
veggies whatsoever!). They appear very healthy, the pen doesn't smell,
no sign of body mites nor intestinal problems when one has to be dispatched and we do
an autopsy. I get 4 to 9 eggs a day - not bad for mostly older girlies with a relaxed lifestyle.
I also eat a teaspoonful two or three times a week. Great for your nails/hair. Been doing
it for 2 years now with no ill effects, only good ones.

Quote:
Very interesting. These are the same things I observe in my flock.

Diatomaceous Earth with Poultry

C.S. Mangen, DVM, San Diego, California

Using two groups of birds with each group consisting of 8,000 white leghorn caged layers in their pullet year which had been producing for five months. After feeding the test group 60 lbs. of diatomaceous earth per 1 1/2 tons of standard mixed feed (17% protein) for 2 1/2 months the following results were observed:

1. There appeared to be less flies around the test group.
2. Droppings are of a drier consistency, making for easier cleaning of the house.
3. 75% less deaths in the test group.
4. A 2-4 case per day increase in egg production by the test group as compared to the control group

60 lbs. per 1.5 tonnes = 2% inclusion rate.
smile.png

Last edited:
My personal experience with taking DE in a shake everyday is that I had stronger nails and longer hair which was unscientifically measured by comparing the number of days for hair to go from fresh trimmed length to the point on my shoulders that I cut it. I no longer had splits in my nails nor very many lines. I have since been lazy and stopped. Currently most of my nails are peeling off in layers into the bed. I believe it has had other effects but there is no way to measure them at home. Yesterday my ruffians got into the DE and ate some. Their poo was very good today compared to a bit on the mushy side.

Quote:
All DE used for your birds should be "food grade". The other types are harmful for you and all other living things. There are many different opinions on uses. It seems to always turn into a......passionate? topic here.

BTW- Nice to see another Tampa area member here.
smile.png

Quote:
Yeah, I was hoping to see a response from someone like, "Use x when feeding, use y when treating a surface."

FYI. I did a search of the forum for "diatomaceous earth" and found LOTS of discussion about it. People seem to be strongly opinionated about feeding it or not. For surface areas, just spread some around lightly (a flour sifter seems popular).

Some of the links in the search talk about amounts, but I didn't really find a fixed amt. Hopefully someone who uses it for feeding will chime in...

- JC

Back
Top Bottom