how much do you charge for your eggs?

My neighbor said she missed out on someone selling them for $1.25. Says she would have bought some. I just shook my head as I'm giving her duck eggs for free. :|

I'm up to 3.00 a dozen - after a few years at 2.50. I bring them to work and put them in the community fridge - with a self serve box for money. It seems to work best that way - and some people make special requests. I call them Battery Free Eggs - and sometimes print out one of those articles from Mother Earth magazine that quotes all the healthy benefits of 'real' eggs - from hens with names. Usually right before the weekend - the eggs from that week are gone. The girls are producing about a dozen a day -- so these days they more than pay for their feed -- and make up for those late summer days, when they're lounging around on the lawn furniture while they moult.

Last edited:
Mine aren't laying yet-- but I'm looking forward to selling some eggs to try and recoup feed costs (reading this thread though, I may need to order some more ducks! we have a huge asian population here!). The local farmers market sells for between $2 and $3. (we're in central VA)

I live in Central Ohio. I am rural but I run a Frontier natural products co-op out of my home that serves a lot of Columbus and Delaware folks(nearby cities). A friend of mine sells her organic broilers and eggs through my co-op. She sells her eggs for $3.50 a dozen. There is more demand than supply. Organic eggs here go for $3.50-4.50 a dozen at Whole Foods. I sell my organic eggs to folks at church and to friends for $3.25 a dozen, $3.00 if they supply an egg carton.
The farmer who mills our feed keeps raising prices so I am sure my friend and I will have to raise our prices this spring/summer. I am not trying to make a profit as she is, I just want to cover feed costs and the cost of gas from driving to get the feed!

Non-organic brown eggs sold from local farms advertising by a sign near the road go for about 2-2.50 a dozen around here.

Here in central Missouri we've occasionally bought eggs from a coworker for 1.50 per dozen, and every week I buy cage free eggs at my local grocery store at 4/doz. b/c my husband likes them better and I don't want to support concentrated animal farming. From the perspective of a consumer, I am willing to pay more for "cage free" at the store even though I know that they are still not as fresh and tasty as farm fresh eggs-- and I am a stay-at-home-mom on a budget. I'd have liked to have been buying from a person w/a little backyard flock but stuck with the store eggs for convenience-- I don't need ANOTHER errand to run every week.

SO excited about having our own eggs soon-- and looking forward to reading Nifty-Chick's wife's future thread on egg washing issues.....

I live in the SF Bay area. New to BYC and to raising chickens for eggs.

We pay about $6.00/dozen for organic/free range eggs from the grocery store. About $5.00 for the same eggs at the farmer's markets.

I'm thinking I can easily fetch $3.00 plus for our eggs. Wow.
big_smile.png

Trying to find supplies and having everything shipped here does get expensive though so that would offset the cost.

in my area no 1 wants to buy an pay for prganic cage free eggs.so i used to give them away when i had hens laying.as well as take a bunch to the meal a day.i do have a lil old lady in the area that insisted she pay foe her eggs.an she always gave me $1.25 a dz.bottomline i just like chickens.an i dont mind eating the feed cost.

Back
Top Bottom