how much do you charge for your eggs?

Hi chicken owners. I live on the island of Newfoundland Canada, I sell my excess eggs for 2 dollars a dozen,just to help with my feed cost. I could get $2.50-$3.00 if I tried.
Ray

I am in the UK. I don't really charge for eggs, because I use them for sucking up to the neighbours really, plus I only have 2, so we eat the vast majority of them.

The people down the road sell their own free range duck eggs for 80p/6 in their little shop, which is really cheap as in the supermarket they are more like £1.80/6. They know perfectly well that they are losing money on them, but they are pets
smile.png
Organic hens eggs sell for about £1.70/6, and coloured eggs (yes, sold in the supermarket!) for £1.45.

Hey Kerry, Can I put an order in for 2 dozen of them eggs of yours. At that price they gave got to be good. LOL:lol:

I'm getting $3.50 a dozen and could/will raise my prices. I put the money each month into the egg can and after 6 months I ended up with $125.00 (this started disappearing this winter when the ladies slowed waaaay down). This was after buying a couple of bags of overpriced non soy containing organic feed every 1.5 months. When they free range it really cuts my purchased feed bill. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and the folks who buy organic food only demand is great. Most of my customers are recommended by other customers who appreciate my efforts to go organic with the girls and the garden they get green stuff from. I know that I didn’t figure in time and all the extras but I can't price out the money they save me by keeping me off the shrinks couch. And the majority of my customers are hospital employee's and at my job. This winter when the girls slowed down boy did I get the 'I need my real eggs; the store bought organic things are not the same anymore'. They tell me I did this to them so produce the eggs buddy.
big_smile.png
I'm up to 18 layers now with the ones I just got from Rae (wolfy shawdow spirit) and only one of those ladies have started to lay. Also the blue/green eggs and chocolate brown eggs really make the folks want to hand over the bills..
lol.png
lol.png

Norm in N. CA

Norm... we really should get together since we're both in the Bay Area and both got our girls from Rae!
smile.png

I had my wife post to her mother's group that we will sell eggs for $3.00 a dz. or trade a dz for 6 egg cartons. We'll adjust our ratios / prices as we see what happens. So far one lady already requested a dz a week or every two weeks.

(BTW, my sweet wife is going to join the forum and ask about washing eggs in another post, so be nice to her!)

Is .60 a dozen is not enough?I am not gonng to get rich but it does help on feed.My step father in law gave me the chickens to get me started.

Quote:
Rob, that would be cool to meet you guys. I have met chel when my son was making a film about backyard chickens in the bay area. He attends the S.F. art academy and was really looking for something not done before by other students. We found folks all over the place. From the toniest places on Nob Hill to beautiful Carmel. Down in Gilroy, Napa, Calistoga, Vallejo, Oakland Hills and flats, emeryville. I mean it really had us surprised. Most of these folks did not even realize that there were forums online dealing with chickens. Found most through word of mouth and calling, posting notes in feed supply stores with email address's. Anyway Rob i got started with birds from JJ (napalongtails) since moved up north. Loved her place in napa, wish i could have bought it...Got a lot of help and birds from Rae (super location and almost died seeing all the birds she had). Just picked up a huge cochin from her and some marans (man those dark eggs really sell) and a favorelle. Another super person is Linda Hamid up in Roseville. Great birds. bought eggs from her and have another favorelle pullet and a ameracauna pullet hatched out by my little silkie (hawk got her a little while ago). Hope to meet up with you guys:)

Norm in N.CA

Back
Top Bottom