How much does it cost to feed chickens?

atobols

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Dh wants me to have a full list of exactly what it will cost to keep chickens. I am having a lot of trouble finding out how much their feed will cost. I want 10 laying hens and I think I want an assortment of brown egg layers. They will have a run and I plan to let them free range a few hours a day. We have 8 acres of land. Just a ballpark guess is what I'm after.

I looked it up and laying feed in our area is $9.50 for 40 pound bag.

Last edited:
About 1/4 pound per layer per day with no ranging. Actual feed will vary considerably based on ranging and scraps you may feed, also cold temperatures. Are you sure it's a 40 pound bag? I have only ever seen or heard of 50 pound.

i have 15 chickens a few free range others dont i buy 100 lbs every month its lasts me a litte over a month so runs me around $20 a month give or take a few dollars for feed

I have 13 chickens and it costs me about $20-$25 per month, remember, you won't need just feed, you'll need oyster shells, gritt and bedding, I use straw. also, it was very costly to build our coop and run, it's about 20x20 (run) and the coop is only 4x8, and the lumber, window, door, wire, nests, roofing material, etc.....hopefully your hubby can build it for you. I would say we easily have $400-$500 in the coop & run. Let me know if you have any other questions.

We go through 1 1/2 or 2 bags of feed a month for 20 chickens, which runs us a little over $20. My chickens aren't fully grown yet, so I expect to go through more feed as they get bigger. We also keep a bag of corn or oats on hand, so there's another $10 every 2 months. Then there's oyster shell, so there's another $9.

About 1 1/2 pounds per chicken per day .

We have 49 head .
We are using like 85 pounds PER WEEK of feed and we give ALOT of scrapes and treats .

50#'s cost 11.00 for Purina Laying Pellets

We give them the following :

Greens
grass
bread
RICE
cooked oatmeal
cooked grits
and all table scrapes

A 40 pound bag can last me 2 weeks in summer - a week or so in winter. I have 18 chickens, 6 ducks and 7 new guineas. (the ducks are still young and were on their own food until a couple of weeks ago)

The free-ranging in summer time saves alot, they spend ALL day scratching and catching bugs, eating grass etc.. (OH and our leftovers)

We probably go through a bag of scratch a month in winter - and a bag of sunflower seeds a month in summer - they get a cup or so morning and night (my kids love to give them treats, so most days they get more during the day)

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all of your input!

I just don't see how it's possible for us to raise chickens right now. I was really hoping that I could show DH that we would break even with raising our own chickens, but I don't see how that is possible. Money is really tight right now, so we have decided that this is not a good idea right now. Hopefully we will be able to do it in the future though. You guys have been wonderful and so helpful.

Quote:
AAwww, perhaps real soon, and you don't need to get as many as the rest of us have two or three work really well to supply the family with eggs, entertainment and education!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom