How much does it really cost to own a horse?

The word "livestock" is a bad word for the horses themselves. I think they should put it as "luxury pets" or "recreational" animals. The word livestock for me, are cattle or any animal that is to be used for human consumption. Indeed times have changed for all livestock and recreational animals. You just don't see too many horses doing work anymore than they did back in the early centuries of 1800-1900's which horses were used for transportation.

I think in some areas horses are considered a luxury item, but horses are eaten and in other countries (I know I know.. its not the US.. but ) such as France, they actually have heritage drafts that are raised strictly for their meat now.

To the OP, I hope this information we have all provided helps you to make a good, informed decision, and to educate yourself, volunteer and do what every you can, before getting
a horse, not after.

Carol

Quote:
Mine are definitely NOT either "luxury pets" or "recreational animals." Mine work for a living. I use horsepower to do a great deal around the farm, from pulling logs out back where the tractor is hard to maneuver to tilling the garden to dragging and raking the pastures. The only thing I don't have yet is a horse-drawn sickle mower, but that's next on my list. I am also looking to build a buckboard for my Hafie gelding so I can go into town for feed, etc. With gas prices the way they are, I want to use as much "bio fuel" (i.e. grass n' grains) as possible.

Quote:
Mine are definitely NOT either "luxury pets" or "recreational animals." Mine work for a living. I use horsepower to do a great deal around the farm, from pulling logs out back where the tractor is hard to maneuver to tilling the garden to dragging and raking the pastures. The only thing I don't have yet is a horse-drawn sickle mower, but that's next on my list. I am also looking to build a buckboard for my Hafie gelding so I can go into town for feed, etc. With gas prices the way they are, I want to use as much "bio fuel" (i.e. grass n' grains) as possible.

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
If this change is made, no one will have to ask, 'can I afford a horse?' They will KNOW that the answer is 'no, you can't afford it'.

People who suggest this change don't really understand what an extreme effect it will have on their ability to afford a horse.

Quote:
I hop you realize how insulting posts like this are. I posted this question to inform myself BEFORE I got horses. I even stated several time that I don't plan on getting any horses for several YEARS. Please stop insulting me.

Quote:

This is awesome! I am currently looking around to have my horses (and myself) taught to pull stuff. It has been a long time since I did it and I am sick and tired of my horses being lawn ornaments. I am recovering from a messed up ankle so my riding is rather limited right now, but I'd love to drive again. Did you teach the horses yourself?

Quote:
I hop you realize how insulting posts like this are. I posted this question to inform myself BEFORE I got horses. I even stated several time that I don't plan on getting any horses for several YEARS. Please stop insulting me.

I won't even deign to comment on that.
I am glad people are able to give good information on chickens and on livestock, in general.

on the horses as luxury animals vs work animals/livestock...
We as people tend to anthropomorphize animals, and on top of that we are becoming a nation of haves and have nots... then there are those in between.
Those who want to go back to a simpler life, those who keep gardens, some small livestock, and use horses/cattle/goats in ways that can either bring in money
or help them to save a little.
Kudos to all.

Quote:
Yes, thank you for not insulting me with more condescension.

And I do appreciate all of the good information, I just wish people wouldn't ASSume that someone who is asking beforehand is going to ignore the advice asked for and run out and buy an expensive animal without doing any research. Isn't it a given that if someone is asking BEFORE buying, that they are, in fact, doing their research beforehand???

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom