How much feed to start a chick?

greathorse

Crowing
14 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Northern Colorado
I am very bad at keeping records and I am sure this has been answered here before, but who has an idea about how much feed to get a chick from start to 20 weeks or so.

I know layers can eat about 3 oz. a day but of course a young chick does not eat that much for quite some time.

I'd buy a 50# bag. If you run out buy more. When they get to be laying age, mix whatever you have left in with the layer feed. You do have more than one chick right?

Last edited:
Table in Bob Plamondon's brooding book (happens to be in reach of computer at moment) sez it should be about 18 lbs per chick for typical breeds.

I have a sleeping baby on me or I'd go check my own records, sorry
tongue.png

Pat

Quote:
Last year, I spent $6 on feed for the pullet who first laid at 21 weeks.

Feed is expensive here. Don't know why but it is $20/50lb. for the starter and she was on that up until just a couple weeks before point-of-lay.

The other pullets cost more than this since they took a week or 2 or 5, longer to start laying.

"Leghorn pullets will eat from 16 to 18 pounds per bird and heavy breeds will eat from 20 to 22 pounds from hatch to 20 weeks of age." University of Minnesota Extension

Also each day, a laying hen will eat about 4 ounces plus, plus - depending on the breed. Of course, free-ranging and supplementing feed can cut feed consumption.

Steve
edited to add: Maybe a 3 pound layer would be okay on 3 ounces.

Last edited:
20.00 for 50lbs no way dude
rant.gif
I gave 12.99 for 50lbs just today and that was at the mose expensive feed store in the county just because I did'nt want to go by the outher 5 miles furture where it like 9.75 for 50lbs of start and grow.i'd be telling them folks whatfor
duc.gif

I know. And, it hardly makes sense. There are thousands of acres of grain to the south of here but it's all wheat destined for noodles.

At one time there was a lot of barley and oats around here but not anymore.

I can drive 30 miles one way for a cheaper source but I only had 11 chicks on that starter and didn't want to change what they'd had since hatching. Color me victimized
hmm.png

Steve

Each bird will consume 16 total lbs of feed while growing to 20 weeks. Here's a breakdown:

First 8 weeks - 4 lb feed/bird
Weeks 9-20 feed - 12 lb/bird

We're paying $11.50 per 50 lbs

Back
Top Bottom