How much fighting is normal when introducing

I too am having the same problem. My Buff Orphington hen's (2 of them) are about 9 months old.
My 4 new babies (various breeds.. Silver and Golden Wyondott's and 2 Rock speckles (?) have been next to the older gals for 3 weeks now. We let them mingle together in the run for a few hours and it was nothing but pandimoniam. Had to take the little girls out as I feared someone would get hurt. Lot's of chasing and pecking. I'll keep doing this but boy is it hard to see the fighting.
Sue

Sue, welcome to the forum, glad you joined.

In feet or meters, how much room do you have in your coop(s) and run(s)? How are they laid out? Photos could help. How old are your new babies, are they laying yet?

Until they mature chicks are lower in the pecking order than more mature birds. The more mature birds can be kind of brutal when enforcing those pecking order rights. That usually happens when the young birds invade the mature hen's personal space. They need enough room to get away from the older birds when they need to and enough room to avoid them in the first place. They should merge into one flock about the time the pullets start to lay but until then expect two separate flocks.

then you are good to go, no need to keep separating them.

They are all free ranging together today. So much space for only three chickens I don't think it matters, the new girl is staying away so haven't seen how they get along together. Would like to see them all together, guess these things take time.

I am guessing it is all a little different with small flocks as there isn't a big group picking on the new ones.

I am guessing it is all a little different with small flocks as there isn't a big group picking on the new ones.
It can be harder with smaller flocks, less distractions than with a 'crowd', a newcomer is more apparent, and there's often less coop space to share.

It can be harder with smaller flocks, less distractions than with a 'crowd', a newcomer is more apparent, and there's often less coop space to share.

Good to know.

They are just staying apart with all the space. Wondering if there is a point where I place them in a smaller area together (a few weeks time?) Was thinking the new comer and the araucana who hasn't shown any aggression might mingle in a small space while I separate the relatively aggressive Ancona.

Or is that just all too hands on?

They are just staying apart with all the space. Wondering if there is a point where I place them in a smaller area together (a few weeks time?) Was thinking the new comer and the araucana who hasn't shown any aggression might mingle in a small space while I separate the relatively aggressive Ancona.

Or is that just all too hands on?
Are they roosting in the same coop?
How big is the enclosed part of the coop where they roost?
That's likely the smallest space thy will have to share,
not sure there's any need to push it beyond that.

I don't integrate chickens the same age but I regularly integrate chicks to a flock of mature chickens. I may have the chicks out of the brooder ranging with the flock in a very large space anywhere from 5 to 8 weeks of age. The brooder is in the coop so the chicks grew up with the flock. I still do not know the relative age of your chickens or how much room you have in the coop. Aart, have I missed that? It would make it easier if I knew what hodor is working with.

Sometimes I just open the brooder door and let the chicks out when my coop is not very crowded. My coop is pretty large. But if the coop is crowded I'll move them to a grow-out coop and train them to sleep there, that usually takes three weeks. Then I let them roam with the flock for about a month before I move any back to sleep in the main coop if the density has decreased enough. That means I have moved them back into the main coop at 12 weeks, though sometimes I wait longer. It depends on how crowded the main coop is.

I don't know where that lone chicken is sleeping. You aren't having problems during the day when they have plenty of room, but the danger could be if they are locked in a small coop where the single chicken cannot get away.

I don't see any benefit to confining them in a small space during the day as long as what you are doing is working. Let them work it out as much as you can, don't force them unless you have a clear reason. You may see some benefit to them all sleeping together if they are not yet. I'd let them roam together as long as you can before you feel a need to put them together at night. My preference would be a minimum of three to four weeks. Depending on personalities, ages, and such that lone chicken may move in on her own by them. It's happened to me with my chicks.

If they are not killing each other, I would keep my hand out of it. In my experience, the urge to belong to the flock will cause the new comer to join the others on the roost. Let her decide when she is ready.

I like chickens have to have the ability to work it on their terms. I don’t lock them in, but rather have the coop set up in a fairly secure (damn raccoons) run/coop set up. Leave both set ups available, and if you have enough room, they will work it out.

Are they roosting in the same coop?

They all returned there last night. The new chicken was sleeping on the floor so I lifted her up and put her on a perch.

How big is the enclosed part of the coop where they roost?

About 2 sqm (~20 sq feet) from memory.

I still do not know the relative age of your chickens or how much room you have in the coop. Aart, have I missed that? It would make it easier if I knew what hodor is working with.

My existing 2 are almost 2.5 years and the new chicken is almost 1 year old. The one year old came from a larger flock of about 12-18 so I feel bad she is now by herself.

She doesn't have any obvious injuries or missing feathers so there hasn't been any serious fighting.

If I knew what I was doing when I planned the coop I could have done much better. As a side note I would like to add another 3 chickens (smaller breeds) in a couple of years. Just waiting for my daughter to get a little older so she can appreciated the hatching of chicks! Think it might be a little tight in the coop with six, I would like to ensure they live reasonably comfortably.

BTW thanks for all the detailed and thoughtful posts, much appreciated.

Thanks for the ages. At least you are not dealing with immature chickens, that makes it easier. I'd keep doing what you are doing, it sounds like things are going great.

.... As this is my first time introducing a chicken to a flock I was wonder how much fighting is normal to establish the pecking order...

You will not like this answer but the amount of fighting is directly related to how badly the two chickens in question want to dominate each other. If one bird yields then most of the squabbling will quickly end. If neither bird yields sufficiently to placate his or her adversary then the fighting can or may go on for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom