How much is too much for chick vitamins?

Peppermint

Songster
9 Years
May 25, 2010
Woodinville, Washington
My chicks are 4-5 weeks old, and I have been putting powdered chick vitamins in their water usually every other day. I know they don't NEED it at this point, but I figured "why not".

Here's my question? How much is too much? Double strength? I've been doing a little more than 1/3 tsp per liter, which is more than they recommend, but I thought it would be fine since I didn't give it every day. I lost one chick last night (got weaker and weaker over 3 days), and want to make sure the vitamins weren't the cause. Everyone else seems to be doing just fine.

Generally, I go below everything that is recommended on the bottles. But... I am not really sure, as I give pedialyte instead of chick vitamins...

I don't give chick vitamins.

Sorry.

hu.gif

I've never given anything other than clean pure water. Feed is already supplemented with vitamin powder. Why waste money on vitamins that will just be excreted in poop if they already have enough of it? Same goes for human vitamins.

I think you're right. It's tricky to decipher through all the different opinions....vitamin deficiencies causing this or that...excess vitamins being toxic... I'm sure the deficiencies arise more often if too many treats are given and not enough starter feed.

I will stick to using high quality feed and clean water.

Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom