how much light do chicks need

Northie

Songster
6 Years
Feb 9, 2013
little farm, Saskatchewan
I have our brooder set up waiting for our first batch of chicks and now that it's set up it seems like it might be too dark. We have an XL dark blue Rubbermaid bin with a ecoglow brooder, ventilation cut and covered in screen into the lid and a 4"x6" window in one end sothe kids can look inside. When you look in there through the window it seems dark.... Should I add a small/cool light in there for them?

They need enough light to see the food and water. If your brooder is inside then make the screen area larger on top. I don't use the tote lid rather cover it with a child's gate to keep the cats out.

I ended up adding a very dim night light to the room they were in at because it was so dark they cried like they were lost with out it... I'm a softy and oh my gosh!!! I had no idea a chicken could sound so lost, sad and lonely lol!
They've moved on to a much bigger brooder but... Have kept the night light...

The light is actually a small desk lamp/snake light type thing. You can bend it and twist it so it points any direction you want. During the day I have been pointing it at their food an at night I point it at a wall so there's just a bit of light reflecting back for them. I think it came from IKEA originally.

Back
Top Bottom