How much light?

dwa

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 30, 2007
I have two pet bantams, a rooster and a hen. They are nearly three years old. We have been having some cold weather, in the teens and twenties at night. I brought them into our garage, put them in a spacious cage and put a heat light over them. Is this too much? Do they need some "dark" time, away from light? They seem to be less active and not eating as much. Would appreciate any advice.

--DWA

If you have a lamp on through the night a red one would be best. But if they dont get any natural or white light during the day they wont lay eggs or do much.

on this light subject, I am hearing different things. On day old chicks, red light or white light, which is better. I know the red helps if they are picking each other but if not is the white better?

Birdhill in East Texas

I always use red for new chicks because it seems to keep them calmer in general and prevents the pecking from starting in the first place. That is how my experience has been.
smile.png

Hi , I have a 40watt standard light bulb in my coop on at all times. I understand you should have a light on for 18 hours a day, it suppose to induce them to lay. I have 18 chickens, with night tempertures running between -10c and -20c I am getting 8-10 eggs per day [9 today]
Ray from Newfoundland Canada

Back
Top Bottom