Stray Hen

lildarlinshine

Hatching
Apr 4, 2024
We live in a suburban area of Atlanta. A neighbor had a chicken that loved coming to our house and she finally made a place to pay her eggs. We've been feeding her, enjoying her for about a month. She sat on 10 eggs. Today we found she had some hatchlings. We counted 3. She had her nest in a wood pile near our home on 5 acres here. We couldn't get her out of the dug out she had laid her eggs without pulling her neck off I suppose, and she was fiesty once the babies started to hatch. We were going to pull the wood pile apart tomorrow and put her in a pen where she would be safe. It was getting dark out.
I went out to her nest and she was gone, just her feathers were left. not even an hour after I had checked on her. Her chicks were scattered, we found 2 of them, we heard more in the wood pile but it is a huge wood pile and we couldn't get to them. My heart is broken, shattered that we couldn't reach the other chicks. We were not expecting to have them in the house but we do have a light on them for heat, they are now out of shock, but its 1:34 in the morning and I am so damn heart broken for that hen and her babies. I hope to find them alive at day break but I dunno how long they will survive out there. I have to go get the remaining babies food. We had been feeding the hen laying food and meal worms. We thought the hen would take them all home but we now have two babies and hope to find more in the light of the day. Any suggestions that would help with any remaining live chicks, would be great.

We live in a suburban area of Atlanta. A neighbor had a chicken that loved coming to our house and she finally made a place to pay her eggs. We've been feeding her, enjoying her for about a month. She sat on 10 eggs. Today we found she had some hatchlings. We counted 3. She had her nest in a wood pile near our home on 5 acres here. We couldn't get her out of the dug out she had laid her eggs without pulling her neck off I suppose, and she was fiesty once the babies started to hatch. We were going to pull the wood pile apart tomorrow and put her in a pen where she would be safe. It was getting dark out.
I went out to her nest and she was gone, just her feathers were left. not even an hour after I had checked on her. Her chicks were scattered, we found 2 of them, we heard more in the wood pile but it is a huge wood pile and we couldn't get to them. My heart is broken, shattered that we couldn't reach the other chicks. We were not expecting to have them in the house but we do have a light on them for heat, they are now out of shock, but its 1:34 in the morning and I am so damn heart broken for that hen and her babies. I hope to find them alive at day break but I dunno how long they will survive out there. I have to go get the remaining babies food. We had been feeding the hen laying food and meal worms. We thought the hen would take them all home but we now have two babies and hope to find more in the light of the day. Any suggestions that would help with any remaining live chicks, would be great.
Stop feeding them layer feed and mealworms they are fine for three days after hatching without it. Feed them chick crumbs. the chicks that are not with you may not survive the night but if the hen if not already dead probably will. I know this is a really stressful situation. Here’s some hugs :hugs :hugs:hugs

I would get a bright light and start pulling that wood pile apart now ..I wouldn't give a sh*t what the neighbors or my husband said about being up that late. If a predator got momma it will be back for babies. Hate to use this suggestion..but it is truly what I would do....take the 2 chicks out to that woodpile and let them call up and out their siblings..or put somekind of outside light over or near the woodpile until daylight. What's the temp in GA right now?

Stop feeding them layer feed and mealworms they are fine for three days after hatching without it. Feed them chick crumbs. the chicks that are not with you may not survive the night but if the hen if not already dead probably will. I know this is a really stressful situation. Here’s some hugs :hugs :hugs:hugs
Thank you, the two I found are fine. I had to put a teddy bear for them to cuddle to sleep. I am going to tractor supply this morning to get food for them. Thanks for the hugs. We stayed out there till almost 2 am , pulling apart the wood pile, the chirps stopped and out lights went dead, its deep in the woods. We will be back out there at first daylight to see if they will chirp to me to find them. Again thanks for the hugs for this old woman, I truly needed them.

Thank you, the two I found are fine. I had to put a teddy bear for them to cuddle to sleep. I am going to tractor supply this morning to get food for them. Thanks for the hugs. We stayed out there till almost 2 am , pulling apart the wood pile, the chirps stopped and out lights went dead, its deep in the woods. We will be back out there at first daylight to see if they will chirp to me to find them. Again thanks for the hugs for this old woman, I truly needed them.
I hope you find them all safe. So sorry about their mama. You’re terrific for rescuing this new little family. 🥰 Lots of good wishes and hugs from me and my flock.

I hope you find them all safe. So sorry about their mama. You’re terrific for rescuing this new little family. 🥰 Lots of good wishes and hugs from me and my flock.
I found them, but they were already passed, looked like something tore at them, they were buried next to my hammy ( hamster ) but the 2 I found are doing great this morning. One of them had some light tears on its back but not deep enough to be fatal. They are eating and drinking, and laying under the arms of a teddy bear under the heat lamp. . Thank you so much for the hugs. I am going to build them a fortress and I know this sounds ridiculous most likely but I took a pic of their Mom sitting on her next with a long lens from my camera yesterday, that pic will hang in their new house when its done. Thank you for your kindness

Hanging their photo will be a lovely tribute to mama and siblings. I’m so sorry they were lost. 😞 You’re incredible for rescuing them. 🥰 And now, you have 2 very precious chicks that have a happy, hopeful future with you. The fortress idea sounds perfect. All of mine are built like that. 😊 Enjoy every single moment with your new mini flock. And, I do hope you’ll keep us updated and post photos! Would love to see! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom