how much mess in my yard?

nevrenufanimals

Chirping
11 Years
Feb 15, 2013
Southeast Louisiana
We are considering getting some chickens, about 3 bantams. My total yard is 1 1/2 acre with the back acre fenced in. I have an inground pool and covered patio. Before we jump into this I would like to know how much "mess" to be prepared for. I am planning on having a good size permanent coop but let them free range in my fenced backyard on pretty days. Will they work the entire yard or just stay in one area mostly? I don't want to fence in my pool area. I know they will poo but how much am I really looking at? I have two small dogs that "go" in this yard, and you hardly ever see it.

Chicken poo A LOT! I have a much smaller backyard and I have 4 bantams and 3 large hens. There is poo all over the place. Here in Namibia it's quite dry so the poop dries and breaks up into the ground which makes it a bit better! I don't quite understand what you mean with fenced backyard. Will you let the chicken free range on the entire 1.5 acres or just in the fenced off part? If they get to free range in the large part of the backyard they would make almost no mess at all since there is sooo much space and only 3 little bantam hens! But if you keep the in a much smaller fenced of backyard, depending on its size they might make a large mess.

yes, I plan to free range them sometimes in the fenced in 1 acre. Over 3/4 of that is grass. I would hope that with that much space they would have plenty area to keep them busy and off my patio. I can't see how three little chickens would make that much mess in the grass, so I'm just checking :)

I have 10 large fowl that don't go more than 80 feet from their coop so far, and they haven't made a dent in our vegetation, or messed up anything. No grass decimating at all...then again it could be that we don't really have grass to start off with, we are up against the woods, and the ground is covered in these vine things...not sure what they are...the chickens eat them and have been everyday just about for 2 or 3 months...and not a dent has been made. If you don't see or hear my chickens you wouldn't even know I have any. For real. I don't see what people mean with chickens messing up the yard...as I said there is no damage, or bald spots at all. We have 4 acres that the chickens are welcome to, but as I said so far they haven't ventured more than 80 feet away. Put in a leaf pile...they will spend more time scratching through the leaves and less time scratching up the grass...You can also put down some frames covered in chicken wire over select spots, and then the chickens can eat the tops off the grass but not pull the roots out. But I don't see 3 banties making any issue in 3/4 of an acre.

Heads-up, if the patio is between them and where you come out of the house they'll be on the patio. We put up a short 2ft high fence around our patio and our 4 mostly stay off now. The fence splits one of the sliding glass door so they come to the glass on their side when they want my attention. Pretty cute when the peck at the glass so I'll come say hi.

i have about 1 1/2 acre fenced backyard. i have four hens & a rooster. they range the entire area. if i don't want them in an area - i have to fence it. i have found the poop to be inconvenient some times. i do hate it when i'm in my slippers taking the compost out & step it in. ugh. but i just kinda go with the flow. if i want them loose i have to take the poo with the pleasure of happy chickens.

with 2 dogs and 2 cats running out of the back door on the patio, I have to wonder how long it would take them to figure out to stay off of it. (and maybe a squirt from the water hose!) actually, the pool and fish pond is between the main yard and the patio area.

Chickens do poo a lot....but they also eat lots of bugs....and your lawn is beautiful and a deep rich green. As with all animals, food in--food out. But banties don't get very big. One acre for the three of them should give them plenty of "eco system" to have fun and live well on.

Back
Top Bottom