How much of chance does my chicken have of surviving?

No sightings of her today? Hope she shows up tomorrow. Normally if they are making a hidden nest they will keep laying eggs in it but come back to the coop and act normal until they decide to set, which is when they would disappear except for once a day or so when they will come out to eat and drink. So they really should only be gone for 23-24 days or so (21 days to brood and another day or two)... but even then you may see her during the day occasionally. If you catch her and lock her up for a few minutes, you can usually follow them right back to the nest. I have had some of them hide nests quite a bit away from their coop, others really close, so that just seems to depend on the hen.

No sightings. Me and my brother combed through the grove, nothing. (though we easily could of missed her.) I don't know if it helped or not but it would haunt be if I didn't at least try. I don't know how big of a % chance there is she will come back, but I still hope. I do have a question about nesting - if they lay eggs, get off the nest and repeat until they have a clutch, wouldn't the eggs laid first be dead from not being set on? Or do they not have to be set on until they have started developing? (They don't start developing right away, right?)

even broody hens will get off once in a while too eat and drink. So if she is broody she should try to come home to eat and drink. I hope she comes home but every day the chances get slimmer. I lost over 30 birds last year in a dog attack so i know how you feel loosing birds.

Sorry you couldn't find your girl. The eggs don't start developing until the hen starts sitting on them. Usually they are good for 2-3 weeks or so at least, the older they get the less viable they are like you said. Wild birds/chickens are programed to lay so many eggs and then set on them, but people have done so much selecting for egg laying ability in most chicken breeds, that your average chicken will usually lay a lot more eggs than it could ever set on, if it even ever goes broody.

Sorry you couldn't find your girl. The eggs don't start developing until the hen starts sitting on them. Usually they are good for 2-3 weeks or so at least, the older they get the less viable they are like you said. Wild birds/chickens are programed to lay so many eggs and then set on them, but people have done so much selecting for egg laying ability in most chicken breeds, that your average chicken will usually lay a lot more eggs than it could ever set on, if it even ever goes broody.

I sure hope she is broody. Funny thing is, if she is, it is possible she'll return on my birthday. That would be the best birthday present EVER.

Back
Top Bottom