How much Safe-Guard Equine Paste do I use?

BrickCoop15

Songster
10 Years
Jun 13, 2013
I am going to worm my chickens with the Safe-Guard Equine Paste. I have both bantam and standard size chickens. I have read different dosages. How much do I really need? Do I actually have to weigh each bird?

Last edited:
I am going to worm my chickens with the Safe-Guard Equine Paste. I have both bantam and standard size chickens. I have read diiferent dosages. How much do I really need? Do I actually have to weigh each bird?
( Fenbendazole) Safeguard Paste or Liquid is the same dose.

For treatment of Roundworms Only - dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once then repeat in 10 days.

For treatment of other worms including Roundworms, but not Tapeworms - dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

You may not need to weigh every single bird, but knowing the weight of some of them would be a good idea so you can give the most accurate dose possible.

Nothing says you have to worm ALL birds at once. If you have a large number of birds, then split them into groups. Say you do all the bantams one week, then maybe all of another breed another week, etc. Break the numbers down where it's manageable.
I've found it easiest to have syringes pre-loaded with de-wormer, then go out early while birds are still roosting. Take a bird off the roost, give her the meds, then set her in the floor. Takes just a few minutes if you think it all out and are prepared beforehand.

( Fenbendazole) Safeguard Paste or Liquid is the same dose.

For treatment of Roundworms Only - dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once then repeat in 10 days.

For treatment of other worms including Roundworms, but not Tapeworms - dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

You may not need to weigh every single bird, but knowing the weight of some of them would be a good idea so you can give the most accurate dose possible.

Nothing says you have to worm ALL birds at once. If you have a large number of birds, then split them into groups. Say you do all the bantams one week, then maybe all of another breed another week, etc. Break the numbers down where it's manageable.
I've found it easiest to have syringes pre-loaded with de-wormer, then go out early while birds are still roosting. Take a bird off the roost, give her the meds, then set her in the floor. Takes just a few minutes if you think it all out and are prepared beforehand.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question! The information you provided is very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom