How much should new chicks eat??? TIME SENSITIVE!

Can't run to the store for a new box because it's 2:00am... but found this bigger box and moved the light.

Can't run to the store for a new box because it's 2:00am... but found this bigger box and moved the light.

Looks like you have that box in a corner. Would it be possible to cordon off an area, place newspaper & bedding on the floor, until morning when you can get to a store? Essentially making a temporary brooder in the corner. You should have a minimum of 1 square foot per bird, although they'll need more before they move out of the brooder. Both of those boxes, you have now are way too small.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

Hey I'm new to byc too
welcome-byc.gif
but agree with every one else they need a cool side. also you said they where only a day old? when the chicks hatch the take in the eggs yoke this means they don't really need to eat for 3days mother natures way of helping out as a mother hen would have to keep sitting on unhatched eggs
wink.png
. keep fresh water and food in there they will eat when hungry. get a longer box or i did see some where (on the net) where the lady had two plastic boxes like the one you've already got cut a hole in both made a tunnel had the heat lamp on one side and the food and water on the cool side. tomorrow when you go to the shop get some chick saver it's better then honey/sugar as that can give them the runs dehydrate them more. hope that helps
thumbsup.gif

I raised my first chickens ever last year and i was a nervous mess about them. Turns out the little girls just need some warmth,light, food & water,clean paper everyday (so I put LAYERS of paper down so its easier) and handle them often if you want to be able to handle them as adults. I recommend a used baby play pen for growing chics. They have space, air flow and they can see whats going on. Mine are so nosy! Lol. And use the resources of this sight for any questions! The members here have been literal life savers for my rooster.

Not going to help. They still can't get far enough away from the heat lamp to cool off. Yes, they do need a warm area at about 90* degrees, but it is also critical that they can get away from the heat when they need to. Think about how chicks are when raised by a broody. They aren't constantly underneath her 24/7. They spend most of their time running around and exploring, regardless of the temperatures and weather. They only pop under the hen for a quick warm up when they need it and then they are off and running again. Heat lamps are not meant to be used for such small spaces. They need to be used in large areas, so that the heat can dissipate. Inside a house, a 75 to 100 watt bulb is all that is really needed. Overheating is a serious danger. If the chicks are too hot for too long, nothing you do will save them.

The plastic bin will make it even hotter. Have you resolved your heat problem? Got a larger box? Instead of using the "heat" lamp try changing & use a regular light bulb (40 watt) in a "trouble light" or even better, MHP (heating pad). There's a thread on it here but check it out. How are the chicks doing?

We got them a bigger bin and they're all doing well. We switched the bulb to a 70 watt lightbulb and the warmest spot is 95 degrees. One died last night and one this afternoon but they were sickly when we got them unfortunately from being shipped to tractor supply, all the other ones got better and all doing great now!

Back
Top Bottom