How much space for chicks?

yknowthatgirl

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2017
Berwick, Nova Scotia
Hi there,

I have a 48"x32" space for my chicks. How many do you think I could fit comfortably in there towards the end of them being in the brooder once they're feathered and about ready to go into the coop?

Basically, I'm not concerned about fitting as many as I can, as this would be my first bunch of chicks and I'm only looking for a few hens. But I would like to know your opinions.

Thanks!

Depending on what breeds you get, 15-25. My primary brooder is 48"x24" and I can keep 15 comfortably for 3-4 weeks. Yours is bigger so you could keep a few more. By week 4, I have to attach another 3'x2' extension to give them more room.

Hi there,

I have a 48"x32" space for my chicks. How many do you think I could fit comfortably in there towards the end of them being in the brooder once they're feathered and about ready to go into the coop?

Basically, I'm not concerned about fitting as many as I can, as this would be my first bunch of chicks and I'm only looking for a few hens. But I would like to know your opinions.

Thanks!

All your beeds are considered large fowl.
chicken math.
Brooder. Large fowl,
1 sq. ft. per chick till 4 weeks.
From 4-6 weeks 1.5 sq. ft. per chick.
6-12 weeks, 1.5 to 2 sq. ft. per bird.
12 weeks to adult, 4 sq.. ft.. per bird.
( 1/2 all these numbers for bantam breeds.
grown birds, 4 sq. ft. inside the coop per bird.
outside 10 sq. ft. per bird.
1/2 all these numbers for bantam breeds.

Your brooder is basically 3ft. x 4 ft. so 12 sq. ft. area,
fits large fowl breed:
12 chicks to 4 weeks old
8 chicks from 4-6 weeks old
6 chicks rom 6-12 weeks old.
3 birds older than 12 weeks.

Last edited:
After 3 weeks, I prefer minimum of 2 s.f./chick. By 3 weeks, my chicks have the full run of 4 x 8 loft enclosed coop space and 8 x 12 fully enclosed run. I use a heating pad brooder for them.

After 3 weeks, I prefer minimum of 2 s.f./chick. By 3 weeks, my chicks have the full run of 4 x 8 loft enclosed coop space and 8 x 12 fully enclosed run. I use a heating pad brooder for them.
Isn't that too cold for them? Everything I've read has been staying they should be under the heat lamp until 5 weeks or fully feathered?

Quote: No... Chicks do not need to stay under the heat lamp until they are 5 weeks or fully feathered. What they do need is access to a heat source until they are fully feathered. When chicks are brooded with a heating pad brooder, it closely mimics the type of heat provided by mama hen. They snuggle under it for warmth, and it heats them by contact. Their coop and run remain at ambient temps, just the same as would happen with a broody hen. The broody hen does not heat the coop and run, but provides a warm haven for the chicks to duck under when they feel chilled. Chicks kept in a brooder that is too warm do not feather out as quickly. Chicks that have a spacious area in which to brood, and have plenty of room to stretch out and play, grow and feather faster. Chicks that are not exposed to 24/7 light live their days according to natural lighting patterns. They snuggle into their heating pad cave when cold or scared, or when it's dusk. They trill themselves to sleep. I've never heard a heat lamp chick sing herself to sleep.

My chicks are out in their grow out coop with their heating pad cave in mid April within 2 - 3 days of hatching. Temps can be as low as 20*F at night and vary from 40 - 65* during the day. At 3 weeks old, they are flitting around like parakeets, moving in and out of the coop loft at will, going down into the deep litter run section at will. Occasionally, if it's a cold and damp day, I'll leave them shut in the loft. But on warm days, they have the run of 96 s.f. run and 32 s.f. coop.

Quote: My chicks did not get lucky. They had the best brooding experience from day one with a heating pad cave. If you've not yet read Blooie's article, you can click on it. It is the second article in my signature. Wishing you all the best brooding experience with your chicks, and hoping you'll explore the possibilities beyond the heat lamp.

No... Chicks do not need to stay under the heat lamp until they are 5 weeks or fully feathered.  What they do need is access to a heat source until they are fully feathered.  When chicks are brooded with a heating pad brooder, it closely mimics the type of heat provided by mama hen.  They snuggle under it for warmth, and it heats them by contact.  Their coop and run remain at ambient temps, just the same as would happen with a broody hen.  The broody hen does not heat the coop and run, but provides a warm haven for the chicks to duck under when they feel chilled.  Chicks kept in a brooder that is too warm do not feather out as quickly.  Chicks that have a spacious area in which to brood, and have plenty of room to stretch out and play, grow and feather faster.  Chicks that  are not exposed to 24/7 light  live their days according to natural lighting patterns.  They snuggle into their heating pad cave when cold or scared, or when it's dusk.  They trill themselves to sleep.  I've never heard a heat lamp chick sing herself to sleep.

My chicks are out in their grow out coop with their heating pad cave in mid April within 2 - 3 days of hatching.  Temps can be as low as 20*F at night and vary from 40 - 65* during the day.  At 3 weeks old, they are flitting around like parakeets, moving in and out of the coop loft at will, going down into the deep litter run section at will.  Occasionally, if it's a cold and damp day, I'll leave them shut in the loft.  But on warm days, they have the run of 96 s.f. run and 32 s.f. coop.  

My chicks did not get lucky.  They had the best brooding experience from day one with a heating pad cave.  If you've not yet read Blooie's article, you can click on it.  It is the second article in my signature.  Wishing you all the best brooding experience with your chicks, and hoping you'll explore the possibilities beyond the heat lamp.

I didn't see where you said they had a heat pad. I agree with having one for them to go to if they want it. I use the EcoGlow 20 for my ducklings and chicks and it works great.

Back
Top Bottom