How much weight can a turkey gain in 2 weeks?

the duck whisperer

Songster
8 Years
Feb 22, 2011
Ohio
I have a turkey i am showing at the fair (in 2 weeks) and he is several pounds under weight. He is 21 pounds and the minimum is 25, but ideally 30 lb is the best. He's 12 weeks ( give or take a few ) old and i am feeding him some cracked corn along with pellets. Any idea what he will gain in 2 weeks? Any Help/Tips appreciated! Thank you in advance..

Turkeys need a lot of protein to grow. I don't know what "feeding pellets" means. What I suggest is that you buy some game bird starter or pheasant food and encourage him to eat as much as he will eat.

Cracked corn won't get you any growth. It reduces the overall percentage of protein in the diet and mostly gets turned into fat. You want your bird to put on more muscle size and it takes protein to do that.

Thanks.. by pellets I mean purina turkey grower. As in, well, turkey food... I don't know whats not to get. But his food is 20% protein, which Is enough for turkeys..

If it is a Heritage breed turkey it is just not going to grow that fast and not sure how you could put 9 lbs on it in two weeks. 4 maybe but you would need to restrict his movement. We using laying pellets and gamebird starting for our turkeys that age.

I never said i could put nine pounds on a turkey in two weeks. I am asking how much he can gain in that time. I weighed him and he weighed 25 pounds. He gained 4 in one week. He free ranges too. He is not a heritage breed, though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom